Study: Fighters remain compromised 24 hours after weight cut

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Study: Fighters remain compromised 24 hours after weight cut

Post by Primetyme199 »

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/editori ... 4b73e6eb16

Adding to this archives of combative sports safety studies, a study was recently published in the Journal of the American Society of Exercise Physiologists shedding more light on the physical compromises associated with rapid extreme weight cutting in combat sports.

In the recent article, titled “Physiological Function is Not Fully Regained With 24 Hours of Rapid Weight Loss in Mixed Martial Artists“, the authors assessed twelve male amateur MMA athletes. The Athletes had their body mass, hand grip strength and hydration levels documented at baseline, at weigh ins and at the time of their bout. The result of their bouts was tracked as well. The authors noted there were physiological shortcoming from the weight cuts which could not fully be recovered by fight time, The authors concluded as follows:

Rapid weight loss (RWL) by way of fluid restriction resulted in a decrease in BM, handgrip strength, and hydration status as measured by urine density over a 10-day period at an official MMA match weigh-in. Furthermore, following an athlete-structured attempt to rehydrate within 24 hrs of competition, no measures fully returned to baseline status as only 16.7% of athletes were well-hydrated at match time, and mean BM (3.7%) and handgrip strength (4.6%) were lower at match time compared to baseline. There was also a moderate relationship demonstrating that greater decreases in urine density were related to losing the subsequent match. Therefore, these findings indicate that an athlete and coach-directed rehydration program <24 hrs prior to an MMA match does not fully restore physiological function and may have negative consequences on the athletes’ performance.

The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
lurkyshaka
TTR Challenge #1 & 2 Champion

Re: Study: Fighters remain compromised 24 hours after weight

Post by lurkyshaka »

It's clear that its not healthy boiling down to weight.......but not sure what can really be done about it.

Fighters will continue to try and struggle into weight classes they aren't natural in to gain as much size advantage on fight night....until it backfires and they are so weight weakened they get beat. Its just a constant cycle.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Whats hard for me to understand with the stats is how much weight did these fighters lose the regain after the weigh in? When I wrestled and boxed I walked around at 141 but competed in the 135 weight class... I never really felt any ill effects it actually made me feel stronger than my opponents...
Chef
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

chef97 wrote:Whats hard for me to understand with the stats is how much weight did these fighters lose the regain after the weigh in? When I wrestled and boxed I walked around at 141 but competed in the 135 weight class... I never really felt any ill effects it actually made me feel stronger than my opponents...
The stats are confusing. Yet to your point when you wrestled and boxed, though you cut some weight, you were fighting near your walking weight. A lot of fighters are cutting 15, 20, 30 pounds and some even more than that just to make weight.
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

chef97 wrote:Whats hard for me to understand with the stats is how much weight did these fighters lose the regain after the weigh in? When I wrestled and boxed I walked around at 141 but competed in the 135 weight class... I never really felt any ill effects it actually made me feel stronger than my opponents...
That's not extreme though Chef, the issue is many fighters routinely dropping 15/20 or many more pounds to make a weight that's nowhere near natural for them. Its an issue from both sides of the coin....A) they can garner an unfair advantage on the night by being so much bigger than who they're fighting until B) their body packs in and they end up a weight weakened shell and they get filled in.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Cool, thanks for the info guys... Losing 15-30 lbs before a fight? :shock: No wonder they are compromised and are sometimes seriously hurt after cutting that much weight.... In my youth we also had same day weigh-ins as we weighed in first thing in the morning and competed in our matches that afternoon.... We didn't have 24 hours plus to re-hydrate....
Chef
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”