Arum: Showtime will leave boxing within the next year

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Arum: Showtime will leave boxing within the next year

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://www.badlefthook.com/2018/10/15/ ... -next-year

He was a new age Nostradamus when he came on Everlast “Talkbox” and talked about HBO not being long for the boxing world.

Two months later, the plug was pulled on the HBO boxing program.

Bob Arum is no fool, not even slightly, and his sagacity hasn’t dimmed noticeably though he turns 87 on December 8. That’s why ears perked when he went on the Randy Gordon and Gerry Cooney Sirius show Monday, and aimed his laser sights at Showtime’s boxing program.

”Both HBO and Showtime are competing for viewers with Netflix,” said Arum, taking a bow for the Saturday effort by Terence Crawford on ESPN.

”So every dollar that they have has to go into what they’re really great at — providing entertainment. HBO certainly has done it. They have really, really good, good programming. And so does Showtime.

“So I’m predicting also that within the next year Showtime will be exiting from boxing because, as great as they’ve been for boxing, they don’t belong. Does FOX belong in boxing? Of course they do. They’re a regular network that has a lot of sports. ESPN is perfect for boxing. That’s where it’s going. The world never stays the same. It always changes. Their time has now passed.”

Now, critics of that critique will note that the writing was on the wall at HBO, and the Showtime program doesn’t seem to be on the wane. So, time will tell if Arum’s prediction record gets bolstered — or the Bobfather’s acumen on this occasion wasn’t A-grade.

My three cents: I myself think that I’d have to see signs of slippage or some behind the scenes movement to see that same down the line arc for the SHO crew and their boxing brand.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
J.J.Dillon
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ

Re: Arum: Showtime will leave boxing within the next year

Post by J.J.Dillon »

Funny, considering that ESPN has been the one slipping for years.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Interesting take.
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

it could happen, but I think it would shift over to CBS/CBSSN.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Other than wilder ppv do they even have anything scheduled the rest of the year???
Bertel1

Post by Bertel1 »

I hope not. Sucks that HBO Boxing is done.
"My belt says the heavyweight champ of the world!"(Wilder)
"So does his, and he has a couple of them" (Jim Gray, *in reference to Anthony Joshua)
Ledhed

Post by Ledhed »

Of course Arum wants Showtime out. Less competition. He's talking out of his ass. HBO and Showtime are two entirely different situations. HBO's new owner wanted out. Showtime's all in with PBC.

Arum already has his long term network deal. By the time that deal expires, he already will have.

Arum doesn't give a shit about the sport; all he cares about is TopRank.

Kevin Iole is on the right track. TR, PBC and MatchroomUSA are all setting up their own houses with exclusive network deals. We'll be lucky to see one promoter's fighter meet another's anytime soon. Crawford v Spence? Loma v Mikey? The burden's on the promoters to show they can do right by the sport just once in a blue moon.
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

Ledhed wrote:Of course Arum wants Showtime out. Less competition. He's talking out of his ass. HBO and Showtime are two entirely different situations. HBO's new owner wanted out. Showtime's all in with PBC.

Arum already has his long term network deal. By the time that deal expires, he already will have.

Arum doesn't give a shit about the sport; all he cares about is TopRank.

Kevin Iole is on the right track. TR, PBC and MatchroomUSA are all setting up their own houses with exclusive network deals. We'll be lucky to see one promoter's fighter meet another's anytime soon. Crawford v Spence? Loma v Mikey? The burden's on the promoters to show they can do right by the sport just once in a blue moon.

Good post

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”