Canelo's Television Future To Be Decided Soon

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Canelo's Television Future To Be Decided Soon

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://www.boxingscene.com/canelos-tel ... on--132320

By Steve Kim

So with HBO deciding to get out of the boxing business in 2019, that leaves the games biggest pay-per-view star, Saul "Canelo" Alvarez, as a free agent of sorts.

Right now, Golden Boy Promotions, is sifting through various offers.

''We've been getting a lot of calls, we're going to sit down with him, [Golden Boy CEO] Oscar

and myself - and analyze everything but there's a lot of offers out there," confirmed the president of Golden Boy, Eric Gomez, to BoxingScene.com.

And yes, the likes of DAZN and ESPN have called but Gomez pointed out - "everybody's calling us, there's some networks that have called as well to inquire. So right now everything's wide open, everything's wide open. We're going to look at all the details and do our due diligence."

Not all of those who have reached out to Golden Boy are ones that are currently televising boxing.

"There's some that do boxing, there's others that don't do boxing but are interested," Gomez explained further.

As for the possibility of 'Canelo' returning on December 15th, Gomez told BoxingScene.com - "He has been cleared to fight, he's on vacation right now. When he gets back we're going to go over opponents with him and then he's going to decide. It's up to him, it's clearly up to him if he wants to fight in December."

If the decision is made to fight on this date, will HBO be involved?

"HBO has told us that they're committed to finish out the year and they would be available and that's going to be a decision Oscar's going to have to decide on what he wants to do," said Gomez.

Canelo was in action earlier this month, when he captured the WBC, WBA middleweight titles with a twelve round majority decision over Gennady Golovkin at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
jeff_lacy_ko

Re: Canelo's Television Future To Be Decided Soon

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Dazn isnt name enough for the sports biggest star. Espn makes a lot of sense. His next 2 challengers are lemieux and munguia... those are in house ppvs for golden boy and espn can generate the most buys with its built in marketing pmatforms
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

Canelo is headed back to Showtime.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 wrote:Canelo is headed back to Showtime.
Guess? Or reported?
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Canelo is headed back to Showtime.
Showtime would be the favorite to land him I would think. Showtime can offer him a Floyd-like flat fee per fight. Mabye not 30 million per fight, but something in that neighborhood.
Last edited by Hillsinitialrebirth on Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

TheSickness316 wrote:
Guess? Or reported?
A guess. As Jeff Lacy said, DAZN is too low budget for Canelo, and ESPN seems alright in theory, but also feels like a low budget production and I don't know how Oscar feels about dealing with Arum. I think I read recently that Showtime's boxing budget just increased, and they'll be looking for a huge PPV star now that Floyd is retired. And Espinoza confirms they'll make offers to Golovkin and Canelo.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 wrote:
TheSickness316 wrote:
Guess? Or reported?
A guess. As Jeff Lacy said, DAZN is too low budget for Canelo, and ESPN seems alright in theory, but also feels like a low budget production and I don't know how Oscar feels about dealing with Arum. I think I read recently that Showtime's boxing budget just increased, and they'll be looking for a huge PPV star now that Floyd is retired. And Espinoza confirms they'll make offers to Golovkin and Canelo.
Didn't Oscar also have a bad falling out with Showtime when Canelo left them for HBO? And Arum and Oscar came together for Lomachenko and Linares. So I think they might be willing to work something out depending on the fight.

But I could see Showtime if they're giving a massive offer.
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

I think it was more with Schaefer and Haymon, who are still around, than Showtime itself, but money talks. Like Hills said, if they offer Canelo a Floyd-like contract, it'll be hard for them to turn in down.
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 wrote:I think it was more with Schaefer and Haymon, who are still around, than Showtime itself, but money talks. Like Hills said, if they offer Canelo a Floyd-like contract, it'll be hard for them to turn in down.
What incentive is there for a Floyd like contract?
Slippery Pete II

Post by Slippery Pete II »

Showtime may not happen. No way Oscar lets Canelo go there without getting dates for his other fighters, those are dates Showtime doesn't have to give. They don't even have enough dates to keep Haymons guys busy, how are they going to take on the Golden Boy stable?

I think a move to ESPN is more likely or a network that's never done boxing before, or hasn't done it for many years.
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

Don't forget that Golden Boy already has a deal in place with ESPN to show his cards. It expires the end of this year but ESPN has the option to extend it a 3rd year.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

Primetyme199 wrote:Don't forget that Golden Boy already has a deal in place with ESPN to show his cards. It expires the end of this year but ESPN has the option to extend it a 3rd year.
I doubt ESPN will extend that now that they are in bed with Top Rank.

I still think Showtime/CBS is the leading contender for Golden Boy and Canelo. Six dates per year on Showtime's main channel, 3 or 4 dates on CBS main network, and at least 20 dates on CBS Sports Net would probably be enough to satisfy Golden Boy's roster needs. Plus add to that Showtime ppv for Canelo.

Of course a market disruptor could come along like DAZN, Facebook, Youtube, or Netflix.

NBC/ USA Network/ Comcast is also out there and may want to make a bigger investment beyond Main Event's new series.

Maybe AT&T will shift boxing programming from HBO to TNT.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Signed multi-fight deal with DAZN apparently
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

Idec on Boxingscene reporting multi fight deal for Canelo on DAZN.

Wow, huge news for the industry if true. This would mean DAZN has truly arrived as a major player. No more ppv for Canelo fights!

Idec doesn't mention the rest of Golden Boy's roster.
Slippery Pete II

Post by Slippery Pete II »

Hearn had to do something pretty big as he wasn't really getting some of the fighters he wanted. Ponying up for Canelo will go a long way to get other fighters to come along as well. Main Events took the Kovalev-Alvarez rematch to ESPN instead of DAZN because Duva said they were more reliable as a network than a str3aming service.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Good for DAZN if they have signed Canelo. But I may be old school, but I just don't like streaming services. ESPN+ has disappointed my with the lagging, and it makes me not even want to give DAZN a shot. That's just me though....
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

Didn't Oscar say a couple weeks ago that he wasn't entertaining offers from DAZN? Seems too low budget for the biggest star of the sport. Canelo is bigger than this.
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

I am still not sure if this is true. It seems too good to be true...... Joshua and Canelo on the same service, no ppv, for ten bucks a month. Wow.
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

The deal also includes all of Golden Boy’s fighters.

If the Canelo signing is made official, it would also mean that DAZN has broadcast rights to three of the top-10 pound-for-pound boxers in the world, with Anthony Joshua and Oleksandr Usyk as the other two. Naoya Inoue is also competing in the World Boxing Super Series, which DAZN acquired American broadcast rights to, so it’s essentially four at the moment. Hearn’s Matchroom USA roster also has Demetrius Andrade and Daniel Jacobs respectively competing for vacant WBO and IBF major middleweight titles over the next two weeks, so if they both prevail, it is suddenly more than realistic for Alvarez to unify his titles with those opponents.
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/10/16/ ... oxing-news

yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

Goodbye HBO, you will be missed.
Danielk015

Canelo signs with DAZN. 11 fights $365mil minimum.

Post by Danielk015 »

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/2 ... llion-dazn

Wow, the new era of boxing and combat sports TV is upon us. Either this will grow or blow up in DAZN's face with the amount of money going around. Wishing DAZN the best in their endeavor.

Wondering how Golden Boy figures into the cut? I am assuming the 11 fight, $365mil contract goes to Canelo solely? Will Canelo need to pay Golden Boy from that or does Golden Boy earn a fee separate from that? This deal seems different than the one Hearns put together.
TopNotch86

Re: Canelo signs with DAZN. 11 fights $365mil minimum.

Post by TopNotch86 »

Danielk015 wrote:http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/2 ... llion-dazn

Wow, the new era of boxing and combat sports TV is upon us. Either this will grow or blow up in DAZN's face with the amount of money going around. Wishing DAZN the best in their endeavor.

Wondering how Golden Boy figures into the cut? I am assuming the 11 fight, $365mil contract goes to Canelo solely? Will Canelo need to pay Golden Boy from that or does Golden Boy earn a fee separate from that? This deal seems different than the one Hearns put together.
I hate streeeeeming live sports. But it sounds like the fights are free with your $10/month subscription. $120/ year beats the $200 or so people are currently paying for his fights.
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

Canelo Alvarez signs 5-year, 11-fight deal worth minimum $365 million with DAZN

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/2 ... llion-dazn

As the old saying goes, as one door closes, another one opens.

Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions stable of fighters, including Canelo Alvarez, the unified middleweight world champion and boxing's biggest superstar, have long been stalwarts of HBO. But with the premium cable network's recent announcement that after 45 years of putting on most of the biggest fights in boxing it was bowing out of the sport at the end of the year, they were in need of a new broadcast home -- and they have landed a very lucrative one with new sports str3aming service DAZN through 2023.

In a record-shattering deal finalized early Wednesday morning, Alvarez signed a five-year, 11-fight deal worth a minimum of $365 million with DAZN, which only launched in the United States in September.

It will commence with his move up to super middleweight to challenge secondary world titlist Rocky Fielding on Dec. 15 at Madison Square Garden in New York, where they will meet face-to-face at the kickoff news conference on Wednesday afternoon.

Alvarez's deal is the richest athlete contract in sports history, eclipsing the 13-year, $325 million agreement that New York Yankees slugger Giancarlo Stanton signed in 2014 when he was with the Miami Marlins.

"Canelo is the highest-paid athlete in the world. He's extremely happy," De La Hoya told ESPN after Alvarez signed.

HBO had the right of first negotiation and a last-look provision for Alvarez's fight with England's Fielding (27-1, 15 KOs), and the network made an offer for an HBO PPV event, but it elected not to match the one made by DAZN.

Although rumors that the deal was imminent have swirled for a few days, it was not finalized until after 1 a.m. ET Wednesday, when Alvarez, accompanied by manager Chepo Reynoso and trainer Eddy Reynoso, signed the contract following a lengthy meeting with De La Hoya and Golden Boy Promotions president Eric Gomez at a hotel in New York's Times Square.

Alvarez is a boxing's biggest pay-per-view star of the post Floyd Mayweather/Manny Pacquiao era, generating hundreds of millions of dollars for events on HBO PPV and, before that, Showtime PPV. But the move to DAZN will take him off HBO PPV -- where his fights cost around $80 apiece for viewers -- and place his two fights per year on the all-sports str3aming service that charges $9.99 a month for a slew of combat sports offerings.

When Alvarez was fighting on pay-per-view, he would earn money for every buy above a set threshold beyond his guaranteed purse. But even though DAZN doesn't offer pay-per-view, Alvarez can still earn even more money beyond his guarantee based on specific subscription benchmarks that DAZN can reach during the course of the deal.

"This is only from my hard work," Alvarez told ESPN shortly after he signed the paperwork. "The most important thing to me was being able to give the fans the opportunity to see me fight without having to pay the $70 or $80 for my fights on pay-per-view. That was the most important thing, more important than what I am making.

"It's very important for me to give the fans the biggest fights and the most important fights, and I promise you I will always do that. The December fight with Fielding is a dangerous fight. I am moving up in weight, and I don't know how my body will feel. But I always want to take on challenges, and I am very happy my fans will be able to see me fight for a small cost."

Alvarez said he was not worried that he was moving to an unproven broadcast platform.

"Never. I was never worried because I'm very confident in myself," he said. "I know how important I am to any platform I go to. I am very grateful to HBO and to Showtime for what they did for my career, but I am happy we're moving forward and that I will be able to fight on a platform that is the future. I've always liked a challenge, and this is yet another challenger in my career.

"Being part of this historic deal will require me to prepare myself even more and offer fans even better performances. At the same time, I am humbled to be selected to lead this new vision for the sport of boxing, which will without a doubt be for the benefit of the fans."

Although Alvarez is the centerpiece of the deal, De La Hoya had leverage to use Alvarez to secure dates and license fees from DAZN for his company's non-Alvarez events. The deal, for which financial terms were not disclosed, calls for Golden Boy to put on up to 10 "high-caliber fight nights" per year that will str3am live on DAZN beginning in early 2019.

Those fights would include Golden Boy's other top fighters, including junior welterweight and former three-division world titlist Jorge Linares, junior featherweight titlist Rey Vargas, middleweight contender David Lemieux, featherweight contender Joseph Diaz Jr. and junior featherweight contender Diego De La Hoya, as well as junior lightweight Ryan Garcia and junior welterweight Vergil Ortiz Jr., two of boxing's top prospects.

"This is huge for boxing, huge for Canelo and huge for Golden Boy," De La Hoya said. "Golden Boy is at the forefront of something very monumental for the sport of boxing."

Because of how well the pay-per-view sold, Alvarez (50-1-2, 34 KOs), 28, of Mexico, earned around $50 million for his rematch with Gennady Golovkin, whom he outpointed to win the unified middleweight title on Sept. 15 in the year's biggest fight. Now, Alvarez will get a fee from well-funded DAZN for his events as the str3aming service tries to make inroads in the United States after previously launching in Japan, Italy, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Canada, where the Golden Boy and Alvarez fights also will be included with subscriptions.

"This is easily one of the best days in the growing history of Golden Boy Promotions," De La Hoya said. "We are committed to making this sport as accessible as possible and at an affordable price for all the fans. My dream has been to make boxing a sport for all. DAZN has the perfect platform to make this dream come true, and with the biggest star in the sport at the helm of this journey, I have no doubts that we will succeed in unimaginable ways."

When HBO announced in late September that it would cease televising boxing, De La Hoya and Gomez immediately began looking for a new home. They talked to ESPN, Turner and Showtime, with which they once had a deal and where Alvarez had his biggest pay-per-view fight (a 2013 loss to Mayweather).

But about two weeks ago, De La Hoya and Gomez also met with John Skipper, the executive chairman of Perform Group, DAZN's parent company, in Los Angeles. De La Hoya and Skipper already knew each other from when Skipper was the president of ESPN and Golden Boy had a limited deal for a series of boxing events on the network; and they were able to make this deal in relatively short order because De La Hoya needed a home for his fighters and Skipper, with money to spend, needed content for the new service.

"We were able to reach a conclusion of what Canelo is worth today and what he is worth tomorrow, and we worked out this deal," De La Hoya said.

Said Skipper: "We are thrilled to be exclusive partners with Golden Boy Promotions and Oscar De La Hoya. By bringing Canelo's fights to DAZN, we will turn his pay-per-view success into a growth engine for subscribers -- a truly transformational moment for our business and the entire industry."

By signing Alvarez, DAZN now is the home for boxing's two most significant superstars, as it also is the American broadcast location for unified heavyweight world titleholder and British fighter Anthony Joshua. Joshua's promoter, Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Boxing, signed an eight-year, $1 billion deal with DAZN in May to deliver 16 events annually in the United States, along with the 16 per year he already was putting on the United Kingdom. That deal kicked off Sept. 22 with Joshua's title defense against Alexander Povetkin.

The deal with Golden Boy also will give DAZN access to the roughly 7,000-hour library of Golden Boy's fights, including from De La Hoya's Hall of Fame career. Golden Boy Media and Entertainment also will produce various shoulder programs to complement the live events.

DAZN, whose other boxing property is the World Boxing Super Series and its three second-season tournaments, is the latest entrant into a crowded boxing broadcasting field, even as HBO winds down its historic run.

ESPN and Top Rank recently tore up a four-year deal made in 2017 and entered into a new seven-year agreement that runs until August 2025 and calls for 54 live boxing events annually between ESPN and ESPN+. Al Haymon's Premier Boxing Champions recently completed a four-year rights deal with Fox that begins in December, and it also finalized a new three-year deal with longtime partner Showtime.

jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Wow.......

I suppose eddie said no ppv amd they think people will pay to subscribe to see canelo.

Shocking
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

10 bucks a month is 120 per year

That means he needs about 608k new people to sign up and stay on for the whole 5 years yo break even

608k x 120 is 72.96mm per year revenues

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”