IYO WHO WON?? FURY or WILDER

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.

WHO WON?

You may select 1 option

View results

NoPropaganda 253

Re: FURY-WILDER... happening or NOT happening?

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Nice Wilder interview on the upcoming Fury scrap and Barry Hearn's recent admission that a 2018 Wilder-AJ scrap was never a reality:
DEONTAY WILDER: AFTER I KNOCK FURY OUT, I'M THE A SIDE AGAINST JOSHUA!
By G. Leon

Expect Wilder-Fury to be announced during GGG-Canelo II fight week!

GL: What's the latest and greatest champ? Is there any update you could give us on your upcoming fight with Tyson Fury?

Deontay Wilder: Right now I'm back in the gym but I'm just shaking loose. I haven't really started camp yet that will be sometime in the middle of September, but my mind is already focused on the fight right now. It's definitely real and things are about to pop off very, very soon. I think we're going to have an official announcement in Las Vegas next week.

GL: How frustrated and disappointed are you that the mega-fight with Joshua didn't happen?

DW: "There's so many different ways I could express that, but to be honest with you I'm just glad that's over. They know they didn't want the fight in the first place and Barry Hearn just admitted that he advised them not to take it. Barry Hearn is a big influence over what goes on over there and they took his advice on a lot of things. They don't want to fight me and they've admitted it. It makes sense though because Joshua came to me personally and told me the same thing Barry was talking about and that lets me know how big of an influence he has on them. If he never had to fight me they would be satisfied because their whole big thing is to make money, that's all the care about. They don't care about fighting the best, this is about making as much money for as little risk as possible. But they're already starting to wake up and now we're moving on. I believe this is a bigger and better fight and that's why Joshua and Povetkin isn't being talked about, the fight people are talking about is me and Tyson Fury. It's the biggest fight in the world and it's definitely going down and I can't wait."

GL: Tyson Fury is a big fight without question and one that I'm sure brings a lot of money with it, but in your opinion is he the next best challenge to you after Joshua?

DW: "Tyson Fury is the next best challenge for me after Luis Ortiz. I feel Tyson Fury is the third best heavyweight in the world. I think there's me, Luis Ortiz and Tyson Fury that are the kings of this division. I really believe that in my heart of hearts. I've just knocked out the second best heavyweight in the world and in my next fight I'm looking at the third best heavyweight in the world. It don't get no better than what I'm doing. Once I defeat Tyson Fury then everything gets put to rest. Everything that they've done, everything that's been said, everything will put to rest and the roles will be reversed. We will be on the other side of things. It's going to be a beautiful thing to see that and that's why Hearn and them are crying now because they're sad, they know and they don't want the fight to happen. They're coming up with all these different things...

GL: (cutting in) Like predicting the fight won't happen?

DW: "Yes. They're getting the media involved, but I want everyone to know the fight is definitely happening. They need to stop trying to sabotage the fight, they need to stop trying to degrade it. Anybody that doesn't think Fury is ready needs to take a f**king seat. They don't understand what it's like to be a fighter. Anybody, even if they're in the boxing world or a fighter that's saying the fight shouldn't happen needs to sit the f**k down. I'm sick and tired of outside influences trying to dictate shit on certain fights of mine. While I'm out here fighting the best they're out here coming up with nonsense while they're making lesser fights. They need to focus on what they've got going on and try to pump it up as much as they can because no matter what they do Joshua's fight is nowhere near as big as e and Tyson Fury. This man is a undefeated and he's been the heavyweight champion. He knows what it takes for him to get in shape, he knows if he's ready or not. Nobody is ready for Deontay Wilder, Anthony Joshua sure isn't."

GL: You said and not so subtly to somebody who's in the game like me, but our readers might not have caught what you meant with the remark, after Fury we're going to be on the other side of things. It's clear to me that you feel after defeating the next two best heavyweights, Ortiz and Fury, that you would then become the A side for any Joshua unification bout. Does that make the Joshua fight that much more difficult to make? If it's not happening now when you were conceding the lion's share of money to them, how will it happen later when you want it?

DW: "They never wanted the fight and they don't want the fight anyway so I guess we'd be doing them a favor. Joshua and Hearn have damaged his name in the United States and all over. Even across the pond they're finally waking up."

GL: You did give them $50M reasons to make the fight.

DW: "Or more. I'm just glad the fans are realizing what they are. All of their interest to fight me was nothing but a marketing scam and now they've come out and admitted it. It's obvious they don't want the fight."

GL: Both you and Joshua are represented by power brokers in the boxing industry, so you can relate to taking advice from your representation. How much of this do you think is Joshua vs it being Hearn?

DW: "It's mostly Eddie and them. Joshua would have taken the $50M. He even told my people to send where it was coming from to him personally and we happily did that for him. We did that because we want this, this is what we do this for, but he allowed outside influences like Barry Hearn, who is very much in control of his company. He knows better than to give it all away to his son and I don't fit in their agenda because they know I'm the one that wrecks everything. You don't put me in the plans when you're trying to milk the public. There's nothing but assumptions about how much money they make so people can believe certain things, but reality isn't what they're projecting. After I beat Fury we're coming! They didn't even want to give me 50%. They didn't even want to give me 40% when I asked for it, so the roles will be reversed. If the fight doesn't happen now I don't give a damn. We offered them the highest guaranteed purse in the history of boxing. He would have walked away with $50M if the fight didn't reach its full potential. That's more money than he could produce in his own country, because his country has a cap. We don't have a cap in America, here we can make unlimited amounts of money and he still didn't want to do it. "

GL: Does Fury go the distance?

DW: "No. I believe I knock him out in the mid rounds, I really believe that. It all depends on how fast I can adjust to Tyson Fury. Fury is very long and he's awkward so I'm going to have to make some adjustments to what he brings once that bell rings, but the time I settle into my rhythm he's not going to be able to take what I'm dishing out. I've been in the ring with tall awkward fighters and I don't believe he has, so that experience is going to pay a lot of dividends on fight next.

GL: Closing thoughts for the fans?

DW: "The baddest man on the planet is named Deontay Wilder and after this fight they must give me my recognition. After this fight I'm going to have more fans in the UK than Joshua does, they're already turning on him, wait until after I take care of Tyson Fury, it's going to be a wrap for them. I'm walking to my destiny and this is my manifestation, I'm a baadddd man and a little glimpse of history repeating itself. Nobody has ever seen anybody like me and you might not see another one like me for many years. I want that love now while I'm here, I don't want to have to wait until I'm gone. There's something about when people die, everybody loves them all of a sudden, I'm here now, give me the love and respect I deserve now while I'm here with y'all. I want to thank all of my fans, especially my day one's we're cruising in our Cadillac enjoying the ride but we're going to have a fight on our hands very soon, and it's going to be another Deontay Wilder knockout! BOMBZQUAD!
http://boxingtalk.com/pag/article.php?aid=35845

Barry Hearn's Admission: https://www.boxingscene.com/barry-hearn ... er--131404
lurkyshaka
TTR Challenge #1 & 2 Champion

Post by lurkyshaka »

Barry Hearn passed an opinion that the fight would be bigger financially in two years time...but its not Barry that calls the shots as he admitted. Its Eddie and AJ.

Barry also pointed out that a contract was sent to Wilder's team which they've yet to respond too. Boxing scene have cherry picked a sensationalist headline.....but the full interview is avaialble on IFL for anyone who wants the true context.

Would Wilder be the A side against AJ should he beat Fury.......absolutely not as his marquee value isn't in the same league as Joshua's. But he would most certainly be a much stronger negotiating position. But he shouldn't worry about these things. not till he's actually beat Fury....which is far from a foregone conclusion.
NoPropaganda 253

Still believing Honest Eddie's every word, 'ey Lurk? Props for loyalty. Let me know when Giant Princess includes a percentage in one of those bullshit contracts Hearn jabbers on about on. Giant Princess stock continues to plummet.
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

I read today that the fight might be in November or December of THIS year. But still nothing official. I could see Fury and his people coming to their senses and deciding to take a few more easy fights for now. I really think Wilder would be too much for Fury.
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote:Still believing Honest Eddie's every word, 'ey Lurk? Props for loyalty. Let me know when Giant Princess includes a percentage in one of those bullshit contracts Hearn jabbers on about on. Giant Princess stock continues to plummet.
The contract is FACT. It was given under the terms that Wilders team requested and its still available right now. Barry Hearn also mentioned that in his interview but boxingscene didn't bother to report on that bit.

I don't blame Wilder for not taking the fight....IF....he believes he can beat Fury and then get even better terms. It makes sense from his perspective, but lets keep things real. He was given a contract under terms previously agreed to and he chose not to take it. That's the bottom line.

If he beats Fury then he made the right decision, if he loses then he fucked up big time....we'll find out which it is soon enough.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

lurkyshaka wrote:
NoPropaganda 253 wrote:Still believing Honest Eddie's every word, 'ey Lurk? Props for loyalty. Let me know when Giant Princess includes a percentage in one of those bullshit contracts Hearn jabbers on about on. Giant Princess stock continues to plummet.
The contract is FACT. It was given under the terms that Wilders team requested and its still available right now. Barry Hearn also mentioned that in his interview but boxingscene didn't bother to report on that bit.

I don't blame Wilder for not taking the fight....IF....he believes he can beat Fury and then get even better terms. It makes sense from his perspective, but lets keep things real. He was given a contract under terms previously agreed to and he chose not to take it. That's the bottom line.

If he beats Fury then he made the right decision, if he loses then he fucked up big time....we'll find out which it is soon enough.
He was also given a contract that had no date or venue on it.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Has there ever been a date and venue in this circus? Did Wilder have a date and venue set for AJ? Did AJ have them for Wilder? Was there a date and venue for Fury-Wilder weeks ago when people started treating it like it's definitely happening and was so easy to get done?

Someone find all these dudes a time and a place and just stick all 3 of them in there!
NoPropaganda 253

lurkyshaka wrote:

Only fact that anyone not swinging from Hearn's You Tube videos should have been looking for is the part that laid out the percentage. Reality. The rest is propaganda and Eddie sucks at it.

AJ's reputation has been shit upon quite properly regardless if that fact is acknowledged by he and Hearn's supporters or not.
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote:
lurkyshaka wrote:

Only fact that anyone not swinging from Hearn's You Tube videos should have been looking for is the part that laid out the percentage. Reality. The rest is propaganda and Eddie sucks at it.

AJ's reputation has been shit upon quite properly regardless if that fact is acknowledged by he and Hearn's supporters or not.
Wilder got the terms he asked for and was apparently prepared to come to the UK....he then decided he'd found a better path. Whether he was right about that remains to be seen. But he has a contract for a Joshua fight in his possession. Its not Joshua or Hearn's fault it hasn't happened. But perhaps Wilder was right to wait and see if he can get a win over Fury first. It'll all become clear in the next few months.

Meanwhile Joshua will fight Povetkin in front of a sell out stadium for a purse about 5 times bigger than Wilder has ever seen....So in all fairness I reckon he's quite content :wink:
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

lurkyshaka wrote: Wilder got the terms he asked for and was apparently prepared to come to the UK....he then decided he'd found a better path. Whether he was right about that remains to be seen. But he has a contract for a Joshua fight in his possession. Its not Joshua or Hearn's fault it hasn't happened. But perhaps Wilder was right to wait and see if he can get a win over Fury first. It'll all become clear in the next few months.

Meanwhile Joshua will fight Povetkin in front of a sell out stadium for a purse about 5 times bigger than Wilder has ever seen....So in all fairness I reckon he's quite content :wink:
Until you have an actual date and venue for said fight, the contract means shit. Wilder could have signed the contract and then Hearn could say great, the fight will happen in 2020 because the date and venue are left blank.
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

TheSickness316 wrote:
lurkyshaka wrote: Wilder got the terms he asked for and was apparently prepared to come to the UK....he then decided he'd found a better path. Whether he was right about that remains to be seen. But he has a contract for a Joshua fight in his possession. Its not Joshua or Hearn's fault it hasn't happened. But perhaps Wilder was right to wait and see if he can get a win over Fury first. It'll all become clear in the next few months.

Until you have an actual date and venue for said fight, the contract means shit. Wilder could have signed the contract and then Hearn could say great, the fight will happen in 2020 because the date and venue are left blank.
Silly Jedi Mind Trick
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

straycat wrote:
TheSickness316 wrote:

Silly Jedi Mind Trick
I'm just pointing out the obvious. My belief is, a fight of this magnitude, you have the date at the very least picked out and agreed upon before the contract is actually printed up. Venue, you work on that after so you can get a bidding war and get as much of a fee as possible, but you sign the contract and send it to them and the date is left blank, the other side can then put any date they want.
NoPropaganda 253

Agree to disagree and stop on that point right there. Hearn's a cunt and Joshua looks like a pussy for going along. This is what most folks outside of the UK believe, Lurk. Percentage. The end.
straycat
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Wilder Clip

Post by straycat »

Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote:

Agree to disagree and stop on that point right there. Hearn's a cunt and Joshua looks like a pussy for going along. This is what most folks outside of the UK believe, Lurk. Percentage. The end.
It comes down to a simple thing...whether or not people believe that Wilder has a contract in his possession(or his team do and I think that's a relevant point because I think its crystal clear that Wilder's team have not done a particularly good job by him so far in his career, can he trust them to be transparent even with him?)

I don't think percentages come into it....Hearn made a flat fee offer for a purse roughly 5 times Wilder's previous best, that was rejected. Wilder said what he was prepared to take and so an improved contract was sent with those asked for terms. That contract offer is still valid, but obviously it'll likely no longer be available under those terms after the Wilder/Fury fight whichever way that goes. Either Wilder will be rightly asking for more, or he'll have to be prepared to take less for an opportunity.

But Wilder has a rematch clause in place for the Fury fight....so should he lose then I guess it'll be a rematch with Fury first. It's if he wins then he'll go back to the negotiating table with Joshua, but from the way he's already talking I think the fight will be unlikely to happen in April(which is the date reserved for Joshua's next fight). When Wilder talks about being the A side against Joshua if he beats Fury, he's delusional. A win over Fury would improve his position greatly, but it wouldn't make him the A side.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

TheSickness316 wrote:
I'm just pointing out the obvious. My belief is, a fight of this magnitude, you have the date at the very least picked out and agreed upon before the contract is actually printed up. Venue, you work on that after so you can get a bidding war and get as much of a fee as possible, but you sign the contract and send it to them and the date is left blank, the other side can then put any date they want.
Ya, of course details like date and venue are important, arent they? Of course you want to know the fine points so you know exactly what you're getting into. It would be stupid to think otherwise...
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Tocsin wrote:
TheSickness316 wrote:
Ya, of course details like date and venue are important, arent they? Of course you want to know the fine points so you know exactly what you're getting into. It would be stupid to think otherwise...
Exactly. Venue for the most point I can see not knowing considering a fight like this can get a big fee, but maybe they might give you possible options where it could be held, but the date, that needs to be said and agreed to before a contract sent out let alone signed.
Peat56

Re: FURY vs WILDER thread

Post by Peat56 »

Wilder, Joshua, and Fury are the only Heavyweights that truly matter right now. I am not interested in watching any of them fight anyone but one of the other two.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Guys like Povetkin or Miller depending on the matchups could easily rock that top3 though and some underrated HW up and comers might have what it takes to take some crown if the matchup is safe
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

the13r wrote:Guys like Povetkin or Miller depending on the matchups could easily rock that top3 though and some underrated HW up and comers might have what it takes to take some crown if the matchup is safe
Yes the13thr, these other heavies could certainly be in the mix. But Joshua, Wilder, and Fury are the only men who have a real claim to being the heavyweight champion. I would love to see Wilder-Fury actually happen before Christmas (still NOT convinced it will) then we will probably have to have a rematch which should take place before June 2019 . Should the winner of both fights be the same, we can have Joshua fight that man next Fall. Then in 2020 the champ can take on Povetkin and Miller. But I am pipe dreaming here. In reality we may have to endure bad decisions, tomato cans in between fights with real challengers, before we finally see the best vs the best when they're past their prime as was the case with Mayweather and Paquio.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

Round table/Face off encounter.....decent watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6k6oGbqzXM
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Fury is better at everything except punching power but hes looked terrible in his comeback fights. I don't know if thays because he fought punching bags or if its because hes lost it.... i was leaning fury bit wilder by early ko to set up the huge joshua fight seems increasingly likely
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

By fight time Fury will have gone 3 years without facing a remotely live body or having anything meaningful come back at him, and he's now working with a very inexperienced trainer after splitting from his uncle Peter. The last time he didn't have Peter Fury in his corner prior to the comeback was vs Cunningham...anyone here could've trained him for those 2 comeback wins, but it's a completely different story vs respectable opponents and especially vs a puncher like Wilder. What happens if things aren't going Fury's way or if he's suddenly in crisis mode after having controlled the fight?

I'm not sure if he'd ever beat Wilder, but now I think his chances are much lower than they were back in 2015. He may fiddle around and win some early rounds, but I will be very surprised if he goes all the way and pulls it off. With Wilder's offensive threat Fury would have to be switched on and on point pretty much start to finish, and I don't think his lack of meaningful activity and current team set-up are conducive to that.
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

Fury is leagues above Wilder in terms of ability. But Wilder's power is a huge equaliser though and of course the timing of the fight favours Wilder with Fury being early in his comeback.

Wilder's power means that whenever he'd have fought Fury or anyone else...he'd be live. But the main question going into this fight is Fury's fitness. Has he built up enough conditioning to last 12 rounds if that is indeed needed or will his stamina start to let him down? He can't be a sitting duck in the fight, he'll need to have the legs and reflexes to make Wilder miss and keep him missing.

If he has got his conditioning back then he'll technically have the beating of Wilder, though Wilder is never without any chance because he hits so hard. But if Ortiz can give Wilder so much trouble after health issues and relative inactivity against top competition, then Fury would seem to have an excellent chance.

Fury needs to use his jab and range on the outside, and move if he feels comfortable. But every chance he gets to clinch and lean on Wilder he should take. Wilder has NEVER shown the ability to do anything on the inside and Fury will have a big weight advantage that will really become an advantage if/when they are up close and clinching.

Wilder is effective at a certain range, but take that range away and he's floundering with all his flaws there to be exploited. I respect Wilder's power and he's shown he does have heart if he's struggling. But he is extremely flawed and that's why Fury has jumped on this fight.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”