IYO WHO WON?? FURY or WILDER

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.

WHO WON?

You may select 1 option

View results

TopNotch86

Re: FURY vs WILDER thread

Post by TopNotch86 »

lurkyshaka wrote:Fury is leagues above Wilder in terms of ability. But Wilder's power is a huge equaliser though and of course the timing of the fight favours Wilder with Fury being early in his comeback.

Wilder's power means that whenever he'd have fought Fury or anyone else...he'd be live. But the main question going into this fight is Fury's fitness. Has he built up enough conditioning to last 12 rounds if that is indeed needed or will his stamina start to let him down? He can't be a sitting duck in the fight, he'll need to have the legs and reflexes to make Wilder miss and keep him missing.

If he has got his conditioning back then he'll technically have the beating of Wilder, though Wilder is never without any chance because he hits so hard. But if Ortiz can give Wilder so much trouble after health issues and relative inactivity against top competition, then Fury would seem to have an excellent chance.

Fury needs to use his jab and range on the outside, and move if he feels comfortable. But every chance he gets to clinch and lean on Wilder he should take. Wilder has NEVER shown the ability to do anything on the inside and Fury will have a big weight advantage that will really become an advantage if/when they are up close and clinching.

Wilder is effective at a certain range, but take that range away and he's floundering with all his flaws there to be exploited. I respect Wilder's power and he's shown he does have heart if he's struggling. But he is extremely flawed and that's why Fury has jumped on this fight.
power is the one thing in this sport that can supersede all others...

the only fighter we've seen withstand wilders power for 12 is stiverne, and he left with a pretty bad concussion that night, probably didnt do himself any long term health favors by withstanding all those blows. even he got laid out quick in the next fight.

i think the way to beat wilder is to KO him, cuz if you dont he will KO you. hes hittable and his chin doesnt seem to be that solid. at least in terms of current HWs, i dont see anyone with the defense and ability to keep him off for a full fight. 12 rounds is a long time to try and dodge that monster right hand. wilder seems to be a kill or be killed type of opponent to me, and i dont think fury is that guy. AJ maybe, fury not so much
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Ortiz dominated most of their fight. Ortiz gassed badley trying to stop wilder and wilder recovered well.

I think the way to beat him is to do exactly what fury will try to do. Use superior footwork to frustrate wilder and stay out of range. Fury is huge and doesn't need to be in wilders wheelhouse to hit him like ortiz did.

The only question in my mind is whay does fury ha e left. I think it will be a fun fight for us to watch but i. Terms of action for the general public it will be ugly
lurkyshaka
TTR Challenge #1 & 2 Champion
TTR Challenge #1 & 2 Champion

Post by lurkyshaka »

TopNotch86 wrote:
lurkyshaka wrote:Fury is leagues above Wilder in terms of ability. But Wilder's power is a huge equaliser though and of course the timing of the fight favours Wilder with Fury being early in his comeback.

Wilder's power means that whenever he'd have fought Fury or anyone else...he'd be live. But the main question going into this fight is Fury's fitness. Has he built up enough conditioning to last 12 rounds if that is indeed needed or will his stamina start to let him down? He can't be a sitting duck in the fight, he'll need to have the legs and reflexes to make Wilder miss and keep him missing.

If he has got his conditioning back then he'll technically have the beating of Wilder, though Wilder is never without any chance because he hits so hard. But if Ortiz can give Wilder so much trouble after health issues and relative inactivity against top competition, then Fury would seem to have an excellent chance.

Fury needs to use his jab and range on the outside, and move if he feels comfortable. But every chance he gets to clinch and lean on Wilder he should take. Wilder has NEVER shown the ability to do anything on the inside and Fury will have a big weight advantage that will really become an advantage if/when they are up close and clinching.

Wilder is effective at a certain range, but take that range away and he's floundering with all his flaws there to be exploited. I respect Wilder's power and he's shown he does have heart if he's struggling. But he is extremely flawed and that's why Fury has jumped on this fight.

the only fighter we've seen withstand wilders power for 12 is stiverne, and he left with a pretty bad concussion that night, probably didnt do himself any long term health favors by withstanding all those blows. even he got laid out quick in the next fight.

i think the way to beat wilder is to KO him, cuz if you dont he will KO you. hes hittable and his chin doesnt seem to be that solid. at least in terms of current HWs, i dont see anyone with the defense and ability to keep him off for a full fight. 12 rounds is a long time to try and dodge that monster right hand. wilder seems to be a kill or be killed type of opponent to me, and i dont think fury is that guy. AJ maybe, fury not so much
I think Fury will be looking to stop Wilder, but he shouldn't engage in a shoot out with such a wild but dangerous puncher and make it a lottery.

Better to try and establish a range where he can work and keep Wilder contained, peck and poke him with the jab and frustrate Wilder, and then use his size to lean on and tire Wilder out when they come close.

As you say Wilder's chin isn't the best and if Fury lands clean then he can hurt him and take him out. But I see that more happening if/when Wilder gets desperate and starts winging shots and Fury walks him onto something.

Ortiz had success against Wilder because his better technique allowed him to beat Wilder to the punch for much of the night(obviously until Wilder pulled it out of the fire)and I think Fury has the same scope for success, probably more because he's bigger, faster and more awkward than Ortiz.....the only real question mark is Fury's conditioning. He's fit now, but is he truly fighting fit?
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

ITs NOW THE MAIN PAGE POLL:
http://www.the13thround.com/ttround/index.php

WHO WINS AND HOW???

the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

BadlyBrowned
______

Post by BadlyBrowned »

I believe this fight will come down to Wilder being able to get inside Fury's reach.

Watching Wlad vs Fury and Fury was very content to keep it on the outside with nothing fancy. Wlad unfortunately did not have a game plan to get inside and/or fight inside, and Wilder strikes me as a guy who isn't going get punked on the outside the whole fight so he will be willing to sell out to get inside. Fury would be able to take advantage of Wilder's fundamentals on the way in but I think Wilder's equalizer means that Fury could land 2-3 in a row but if he leaves himself open enough, one bomb would change the fight.

Ortiz, for as old and washed as people think he is, is a great fighter in his own right. He has KO power in both hands and nobody wanted to fight him. He almost dropped Wilder by taking advantage of his lunging, and punch for punch I believe Ortiz hits harder than Fury. Wilder was able to recover and turn the fight back around almost immediately.

Not confident but given all the information I think it's more likely that Wilder absorbs punishment, gets in range, eats a few shots to land one bomb, stuns Fury, and stops him, than it is that Fury keeps him outside the whole fight and frustrates Wilder to a UD. One outside ending I could see is where Wilder is behind, and does everything he can to get inside, but Fury stays composed, peppers him with cutting shots and cuts him enough for a ref stoppage.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Fury looks like someone who trained endurance and will be looking to run and make rounds... He will be evasive... If Wilder is smart we'll see a small ring... but doubt it if Fury is involved... Fury was anal about the Wlad ring which was too soft to his taste. Key thing vs Wlad is he made Wlad miss so much that he began to think about his stamina. I don't hink it will be the case for Wilder who will be so aggressive and and swinging,,, I think he gets to Fury who will fall into bravado instead of remaining cool and evasive. But if he doesn't i can see Wilder missing and Fury winning with jabs and movement.

i again think it will look like the Malik Scott fight, just longer
Kev_OS

Post by Kev_OS »

Screw it. Fury by KO.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

There have been whispers about wilders chin for a long time. But ortiz is a bonafide hw puncher who teed off on wilder and wilder remained upright. I think the chin talk is overblown with him. He doesn't fight like someone with a suspect chin(look at wlad who looked anxious a lot and held a lot)
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

Just a few more days.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Curious how many buys this does in the US, not for any relevance to an AJ fight, but just to see what type of attraction HW boxing has to the US market these days even when the top American is involved (and isn't some fat short blob) and they've hyped it a bit.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

The promotion has been decent. I think 200k buys is reasonable.
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote:The promotion has been decent. I think 200k buys is reasonable.
Eddie Hearn should be a tad nervous, lol

I heard Bernstein on the Rich Eisen show this morning, and he sold the fight really well. I think it might do decent numbers, I'm kinda pumped for the fight surprisingly. I just hope it's a good fight.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

I heard Bernstein on the Rich Eisen show this morning, and he sold the fight really well. I think it might do decent numbers, I'm kinda pumped for the fight surprisingly. I just hope it's a good fight.
Are you going Swaggy?
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote:

Are you going Swaggy?
nah, will tune in here though. Why you thinking about going?

I took my buddy and his kid to GGG-Martirosan and it cost me like almost $500 bucks, but when I waited to the day of GGG-Monroe/Chocolatito-Sosa I was able to get tickets at for like $100. I just didn't want to wait til the last day with guests. So, you can get tickets for relatively decent prices if you wait. (Looked into decent seats for Rams-Eagles last year and they wanted $250 per seat at the Coliseum which is never full).

Just checked and there are 2 tickets in the nosebleeds for $84 right now, and $150 for lower bowl.
Last edited by yoloswaggy911 on Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

nah, will tune in here though. Why you thinking about going?
No. My daughter has a game at 5, and I don't want to rush and deal with the traffic, you know how that goes. I'm just going to bite the bullet and order it.
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

In this newly minted thread for the fight, I'd like to reiterate that this is a great fight, and that it perhaps has not got the attention and respect it deserves. Both these men deserve a ton of praise for taking this fight. And in my view, if there's clean, clear winner, that fighter will be the true Heavyweight Champion of the World.

There is much intrigue here, many unknowns, and its potential clash of styles and also personalities, all of which make the fight a great one.

So there is good reason to watch. But will the fight live up to it? No idea. Could be a blow out that ends in one or two rounds or it could be a fight for the ages that we'll be analyzing for years to come.

I'm rooting for Tyson Fury, but I do think he is the underdog. He seems smarter and a bit more complete as a fighter. Wilder seems poorly balanced at times, but he has great power and more than enough speed.

If i were a betting man (which I am not) I would bet that Wilder wins in by KO in the mid to late rounds. So that's my official prediction.

But if Fury can land good shots early, confuse and befuddle Wilder, and neutralize Wilder's aggressiveness and speed by out-boxing him, then Fury has a chance.

Problem is, 18-24 months of letting yourself go completely can spell doom for an athlete at the highest level of competition. Sure, he can still beat ordinary competitors and maybe some higher level guys too. But beat the best? Be at that highest level again? That is questionable. I just can't see Fury being the same as he was 3 years ago. But perhaps he is the best that he can be now, and that should still be very formidable.

So to recap... great fight. Must-see boxing. Wilder will likely win, though Fury has a decent chance if he does the right things.
Peat56

WEIGH IN: Fury 256 lbs, Wilder 212 lbs

Post by Peat56 »

Fury and Wilder just weighed in.

Fury looked pretty good, but actually still a bit soft in the middle. But I have little doubt he's in the best shape he can be in.

Wilder always looks sharp and fit.
Mayz
TTR Contributor

Re: WEIGH IN: Fury 256 lbs, Wilder 212 lbs

Post by Mayz »

I know Fury said he was heavy and hadn't lost much, but only 1 pound is worrying.

Hopefully he's added more muscle.

Not sure he will have the stamina for 12, should probably look for a big counter when Wilder is unbalanced. He hasn't got the biggest power, but the way Wilder fights, he leaves himself ppen to be KOd... Might be Furys only chance
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ8IZ3iW_UM&t=4m43s
HAHAHAHA!! :lol: :lol:

'You know why Deontay Wilder sucks? Let me break it down for his bumboys, fanboys and internet fans that like sucking him off. AJ loses. He was so over the moon, so happy. Dude they was offering you more than $100m to fight him! You made 4-5m to fight Ortiz bruv! Are you stupid? Are you fucking stupid?!' - Dillian Whyte

'Eddie Hearn has almost single-handedly helped raise the profile of boxing in the U.S.' - Kevin Iole
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

Mayz wrote:I know Fury said he was heavy and hadn't lost much, but only 1 pound is worrying.

Hopefully he's added more muscle.

Not sure he will have the stamina for 12, should probably look for a big counter when Wilder is unbalanced. He hasn't got the biggest power, but the way Wilder fights, he leaves himself ppen to be KOd... Might be Furys only chance
I could not agree more
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Yeah Wilder wins... Fury thinks he can pull the same trick that he did vs Wlad but forgets Wilder hasn't had the stamina lessons Wlad had yet... Wilder goes all out taking the extra step and getting to Fury who will go from evasive to stupid cocky and get taken out
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

TopNotch86 wrote:

Power alone can dictate the outcome of a fight. Coupled with the speed and dexterity to deliver the power and you have a truly formidable force. Such a combination will probably always beat lesser fighters. But history is full of slick boxers who have outclassed guys who are much more powerful than them.
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

Is there a Belasco theatre card to look forward to this weekend? Whatevwr happened to fight night at the D?
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Re: WEIGH IN: Fury 256 lbs, Wilder 212 lbs •Live@6:30pm•

Post by marciano1952 »

lots of names on this card, looking forward to it even thought the matchmaking is pretty poor....should provide some entertainment
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”