Rumor has it Canelo/GGG2 PPV #s....

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Rumor has it Canelo/GGG2 PPV #s....

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

Are less than the original.

Number being floated around right now is 1,115,000. I blame GBP & HBO for the lack of promotion. No Faceoff, only 1 24/7, no buzz, no proper build up.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Re: Rumor has it Canelo/GGG2 PPV #s....

Post by gilgamesh »

You can probably blame it on the fact that the 1st fight didn't have a just decision, and people knew the 2nd fight wouldn't either. People get tired of paying high dollar to see a fight, and then getting told the guy that didn't win won.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Lol. No. They didn't promote it correctly, lost the buzz with the 4 month delay from Canelo's positive drug tests and the first fight was chess match with moderate action. Stop trying to push the robbery angle in the rematch. That didn't happen.
gino7799

Post by gino7799 »

You can also blame it on boxing corruption.....people are over it.
On fight night Canelo weighed 177 pound and GGG weighed 168.2. But Canelo says the fight for his 160 pound belt must be at 155 pounds. She should just give her belt to GGG now and move on.
Slippery Pete II

Post by Slippery Pete II »

To me the lower numbers are not surprising at all. There are a few factors that I believe affected the buys:

-Canelo coming off of a failed drug test. No matter how you slice it, it's not a good look and people think to themselves "why should I give that cheating sack of shit another $80?". The prick wouldn't even fess up and admit that he took something, instead he blames meat...Mexican Pride LOL.

-The fight in May was cancelled due to the failed drug test. People were inconvenienced in a major way with hotels already booked, flights, etc. When you cost people money and don't deliver anything, they tend to hold it against you.

-The first fight wasn't as good as it was supposed to be. We were supposed to get an all-action fight with two warriors going at it. Instead we got a young fighter that's 27 years old and in his prime running away from a 36 year old who looked to be on the decline.

Put all of that together and there's no way the second fight does as well as the first. To be perfectly honest I'm amazed it broke a million buys this time around.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

I'm sure Canelo's failed tests had nothing to do with it.
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

Canelo's failed test would have enhanced the PPV #s, not hurt them. That's what made this a grudge match. Prior to the failed tests they were friends. After the failed tests Golovkin ran off at the mouth and their friendship went out the window and it became a genuine grudge match. The failed tests had nothing to do with the PPV #s being less than the original. Whoever was going to order the fight before, didn't not order it because Canelo popped hot. That's silly.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 wrote:Canelo's failed test would have enhanced the PPV #s, not hurt them. That's what made this a grudge match. Prior to the failed tests they were friends. After the failed tests Golovkin ran off at the mouth and their friendship went out the window and it became a genuine grudge match. The failed tests had nothing to do with the PPV #s being less than the original. Whoever was going to order the fight before, didn't not order it because Canelo popped hot. That's silly.
But the lack of promotion can easily be explained because of Canelo's failed tests. They had an HBO Face Off when the rematch was originally scheduled for May. HBO scrapped showing it because of the failed test and thus ended up losing money because of Canelo. Them not wanting to spending as much as they did previously is because Canelo ended up fucking everything up because of his failed tests.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Like I said before....there was just a lack of interest for this fight, compared to the first fight.
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

I bought the first one and still haven’t seen the 2nd one, so I definitely lost interest this time around.

Can’t put my finger on why though, guess I’m just not a big fan of either fighter
gino7799

Post by gino7799 »

LOL- Maybe people just did not care for it and that was it. Most people are aware of the controversy surrounding both fights. People don't like that.....Look for Canelos numbers to keep dropping from here. Canelo does not speak English which will hurt his chances of getting Americans to root for him and their is no true adversaries from here on out. Also, Canelo has technically lost 4 fights. He is just not as good as people make him out to be. Take DLH out of the picture and Canelo is very average. I don't think he breaks a million with any other opponent even if he rematches GGG for a third fight. People just don't care.....
On fight night Canelo weighed 177 pound and GGG weighed 168.2. But Canelo says the fight for his 160 pound belt must be at 155 pounds. She should just give her belt to GGG now and move on.
gino7799

Post by gino7799 »

If DLH could not get solid numbers for this fight.....then Canelo is not going to be doing it with substandard competition. Boxing is fading....
b0x1ng
TTR Contributor

Post by b0x1ng »

I haven't watched it. Honestly, I haven't watched the first one :)
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

b0x1ng wrote:I haven't watched it. Honestly, I haven't watched the first one :)
They're great fights. Just don't expect the decision to be worth a damn.
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

Big time fan there.
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

good number for an 85 dollar ppv. that is a lot of revenue. that is the equivalent of 1.4 or 1.5 million for a regular priced ppv. plus I am sure the gate will be huge.

too bad. I generally wish failure on ppv events. They disgust me.
b0x1ng
TTR Contributor

Post by b0x1ng »

KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 wrote:Big time fan there.
Exactly
gino7799

Post by gino7799 »

ObJuan13 wrote:I bought the first one and still haven’t seen the 2nd one, so I definitely lost interest this time around.

Can’t put my finger on why though, guess I’m just not a big fan of either fighter
Perfect, can you please watch the fight because you won’t be bias and turn down the volume and score it. We need an unbiased opinion.
J.J.Dillon
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ

Post by J.J.Dillon »

Watch the fight, turn down the volume, sit backwards, make the Fox Viewing Positions, do the Hokey Pokey, and most of all make sure your set is encased in tinfoil.

That way it will turn from a close fight that was tough to score into a clear runaway win for Gino's non-catfish fight fetish.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

J.J.Dillon wrote:Watch the fight, turn down the volume, sit backwards, make the Fox Viewing Positions, do the Hokey Pokey, and most of all make sure your set is encased in tinfoil.

That way it will turn from a close fight that was tough to score into a clear runaway win for Gino's non-catfish fight fetish.
It can be a close fight that was tough to score where there was still one guy that got the better of it.

I certainly think it was debatable who won, it's just a little odd that the benefit of the doubt ALWAYS leans toward Canelo in close ones. Well I guess it's not odd, but you know what I mean.
J.J.Dillon
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ

Post by J.J.Dillon »

Could it be that Alvarez is usually the more aggressive fighter?

That I think is what proved the benefit of the doubt in the rematch -- he had Golovkin moving in reverse a good deal, which is atypical.
Slippery Pete II

Post by Slippery Pete II »

J.J.Dillon wrote:Could it be that Alvarez is usually the more aggressive fighter?

That I think is what proved the benefit of the doubt in the rematch -- he had Golovkin moving in reverse a good deal, which is atypical.
I would think if the judges felt that way Golovkin would have got the nod in the first fight, but couldn't catch a break there either.

Let's face it. Canelo is the house fighter in Vegas, Texas and California. You aren't getting a win against him unless you put him to sleep or pitch a complete shutout (i.e. Mayweather).
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

Slippery Pete II wrote:
J.J.Dillon wrote:Could it be that Alvarez is usually the more aggressive fighter?

I would think if the judges felt that way Golovkin would have got the nod in the first fight, but couldn't catch a break there either.

Let's face it. Canelo is the house fighter in Vegas, Texas and California. You aren't getting a win against him unless you put him to sleep or pitch a complete shutout (i.e. Mayweather).
Even when a dominant performance is put in, a bought judge scores the fight a draw in the Floyd fight lol
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

First fight at my house, about 30 or so folks were there and it was hopping. This next fight, only about 15. Not sure exactly why the people were not there, but in big fights, I usually get about 25-35 there. Not only for the fight, but people come for the plenty booze and korean BBQ lol.

but this fight, it was not an event people cared enough to go to, even with the booze and korean BBQ. this fight was just less interesting for I am sure many reasons. But they did miss a solid fight. The action could make a potential 3rd fight do better numbers.
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

$85 for a fight that should of happened in May just not worth the buy

How about that whole hour of nothing before the main event?

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”