Canelo submitted to hair test; negative

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Canelo submitted to hair test; negative

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/2 ... commission

Promoter: Hair test shows Canelo Alvarez wasn't intentionally taking banned substance
DAN RAFAEL
ESPN Senior Writer
8:48 PM ET5 Minute Read

Canelo Alvarez submitted to hair follicle testing at the request of the Nevada State Athletic Commission and the test came back negative for the banned performance-enhancing drug clenbuterol, lending some credence to Alvarez's insistence that his two positive drug tests for the substance in February, which caused his rematch with unified middleweight world champion Gennady Golovkin to be canceled, were caused by eating contaminated beef.

The negative hair follicle test is notable because while clenbuterol is detectable in urine for less than a week after it is ingested, the drug can be detected in hair for several months.

That would appear to lend credibility to Alvarez's assertion that he was positive for trace amounts of clenbuterol in random urine tests conducted by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association in his hometown of Guadalajara, Mexico, on Feb. 17 and Feb. 20 because he consumed a small amount that was present in the meat he ate as opposed to taking larger doses of the substance as part of a doping program that would be more likely to remain in his hair follicles for months after he had stopped taking it.

According to Dopeology.org, which extensively covers doping in professional cycling, "Clenbuterol, like many other substances, accumulates in very small amounts in hair follicles. If an athlete has taken the substance over a period of time in the past, his/her hair test might return a positive for a period of six months or longer. Conversely, if the clenbuterol resulted from a single incident, in which the subject had eaten meat for example, a hair test would almost certainly be negative."
Cagiva9

Re: Canelo submitted to hair test; negative

Post by Cagiva9 »

Honestly don’t think this will change a lot of minds. Signing up for and staying in VADA testing might though.
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

Doesn't matter if it does. False sense of security out there just flew out the window. Canelo was clean the whole time and for the first fight as well.

Poor Golovkin. 4 months away.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

http://www.testclear.com/affiliate/aw.a ... iliateID=1

Anyway despite all the declarations of innocence, I think everyone would feel better if Canelo were testing now through September.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Doesn't matter if it does. False sense of security out there just flew out the window. Canelo was clean the whole time and for the first fight as well.

I'd be really naive just to assume Canelo was "clean the whole time". He popped dirty, and he's been living in Mexico his entire life/boxing career, and he's NEVER popped before(eating Mexican meat). He may have been cheating his entire career, and just has never been caught. But all of the stars were aligned for him to take that risk and cheat against GGG. One of the biggest fights of his life, and at a higher weight. Honestly, I thought he looked a little enhanced against Bum Jr.

And he just might beat GGG in September, but he'd still be a cheat in my book. Canelo has to do a lot of testing in the future to get back in the good graces of a lot of fans...
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 wrote:Doesn't matter if it does. False sense of security out there just flew out the window. Canelo was clean the whole time and for the first fight as well.

If Canelo was clean the whole time he wouldn't have tested positive twice in the 1st place.
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote:

I'd be really naive just to assume Canelo was "clean the whole time". He popped dirty, and he's been living in Mexico his entire life/boxing career, and he's NEVER popped before(eating Mexican meat). He may have been cheating his entire career, and just has never been caught. But all of the stars were aligned for him to take that risk and cheat against GGG. One of the biggest fights of his life, and at a higher weight. Honestly, I thought he looked a little enhanced against Bum Jr.

And he just might beat GGG in September, but he'd still be a cheat in my book. Canelo has to do a lot of testing in the future to get back in the good graces of a lot of fans...
You're right. Allow me to rephrase. He may or may not have been cheating at any given point but what I meant was, for this particular incident, the test prove he wasn't juicing. This particular test, the hair follicle test, is the one Mabel Sanchez was specifically asking for.

Against Bum Jr was his first fight ever above 155. That fight was at 164 actually. He fought 9 lbs heavier than he had ever fought professionally.
Last edited by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

TheSickness316 wrote:
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 wrote:Doesn't matter if it does. False sense of security out there just flew out the window. Canelo was clean the whole time and for the first fight as well.

If Canelo was clean the whole time he wouldn't have tested positive twice in the 1st place.
If he ate contaminated meat he was going to test positive, because that's exactly what happens when doing so. Or were you too busy trying to sound smart that you didn't read the article.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 wrote:
TheSickness316 wrote:

If he ate contaminated meat he was going to test positive, because that's exactly what happens when doing so. Or were you too busy trying to sound smart that you didn't read the article.
I read the article. Doesn't change the fact to what I said. You said he was clean the whole time, but if that were true, he would have never tested positive in the 1st place.
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

I'm not about to get sucked into one of your patended crazy arguments. You're called sickness for a reason.

Loon.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 wrote:I'm not about to get sucked into one of your patended crazy arguments. You're called sickness for a reason.

Loon.
Just calling out your utter stupidity because of your crush on Canelo. He wasn't clean the whole time because he tested positive twice. There's no way around that. Those are the facts. So if he was clean the whole time he never would have failed. It's that simple. But since Canelo is your King Daddy you choose to ignore something so simple.
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

You're one stupid MF.

I bet if someone asks what time is it, someone will say it's 12:05. You'll say, well, actually, it's 12:05 & 36 seconds. You probably argue with old ladies at grocery stores, kids at parks, the mailman, the pizza delivery guy, you name it.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 wrote:You're one stupid MF.

I bet if someone asks what time is it, someone will say it's 12:05. You'll say, well, actually, it's 12:05 & 36 seconds. You probably argue with old ladies at grocery stores, kids at parks, the mailman, the pizza delivery guy, you name it.
I'm not the one saying someone was clean the whole time yet failed two tests and was suspended for 6 months.
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

Cagiva9 wrote:http://www.testclear.com/affiliate/aw.a ... iliateID=1

Anyway despite all the declarations of innocence, I think everyone would feel better if Canelo were testing now through September.
The hate runs so deep it wouldn't matter. All I heard all over the net was 'hair test!'. Well, he took one.

I agree he should submit himself to expanded random testing through Sept. If he does that and comes up clean, I would be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

Victor Conte (@VictorConte) Tweeted:
Yes Gabe this Canelo hair testing result is a game-changer for boxing

Gabriel Montoya™ (@Gabriel_Montoya) Tweeted:
Gabriel Montoya™ (@Gabriel_Montoya) Tweeted:
The next boxer who tests positive for clenbuterol and blames contaminated meat better be willing to back it up with hair. @Canelo set a major #cleansport precedent in #boxing.

So I decided to do a bit more research on the subject. Looked up Conte's Twitter. Conte, as we all know, is an expert on the the subject and has forgotten more about PEDs than any of us will ever know in our lifetime, he said that Canelo's negative hair result is a game changer, and future boxers who test positive for contaminated meat will be able to back it up with a hair follicle test. This is the same test Errol Spence, Tim Bradley, Mabel Sanchez, and numerous others challenged Canelo to take. Canelo also said he wants to submit to a lie detector test.

WADA may now allow trace amounts of clenbuterol in testing. The experts have exonerated Canelo.
Last edited by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

Canelo is suspended for Two Positive tests for Clenbuterol.

Those positive tests didn't just come out of thin air, and the powers that be in the sport certainly aren't trying to fake a false positive on one of the biggest draws in the sport.

This is about like saying Andrew Golota shouldn't have been DQ'd against Riddick Bowe because he was just aiming for the body, and made an honest mistake multiple times.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Post by Primetyme199 »

The negative hair test doesn’t 100% rule out that Canelo wasn’t in fact doping because testing hair for clenbuteol can be quite difficult, particularly with light-colored hair. NSAC commissioner Bob Bennett had this to say on that particular issue:

“We initiated the test to be as comprehensive as possible but knowing it’s very difficult, according to the experts,” Bennett said. “It’s a difficult process to be able to confirm whether there is clenbuterol in the hair follicles, but I talked to (SMRTL president and laboratory director) Dr. (Michael) Eichner and he said they’d run the test even though it is even more difficult to run on light-colored hair. But we sent them the samples and the tests came back negative.”

Whatever the case may be, we’ll probably never know with absolute certainty. But we do know that Canelo is expected to make a September 15th return to the ring (on Mexican Independance Day weekend) and Gennady Golovkin is the top priority.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

The negative hair test doesn’t 100% rule out that Canelo wasn’t in fact doping because testing hair for clenbuteol can be quite difficult, particularly with light-colored hair. NSAC commissioner Bob Bennett had this to say on that particular issue:

“We initiated the test to be as comprehensive as possible but knowing it’s very difficult, according to the experts,” Bennett said. “It’s a difficult process to be able to confirm whether there is clenbuterol in the hair follicles, but I talked to (SMRTL president and laboratory director) Dr. (Michael) Eichner and he said they’d run the test even though it is even more difficult to run on light-colored hair. But we sent them the samples and the tests came back negative.”

Whatever the case may be, we’ll probably never know with absolute certainty. But we do know that Canelo is expected to make a September 15th return to the ring (on Mexican Independance Day weekend) and Gennady Golovkin is the top priority.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

gilgamesh wrote:Canelo is suspended for Two Positive tests for Clenbuterol.

Those positive tests didn't just come out of thin air, and the powers that be in the sport certainly aren't trying to fake a false positive on one of the biggest draws in the sport.

This is about like saying Andrew Golota shouldn't have been DQ'd against Riddick Bowe because he was just aiming for the body, and made an honest mistake multiple times.
Of course they didn't come out of thin air. This isn't rocket science.

If it's assumed he didn't dope, what's the next logical reason he tested positive? 2+2 isn't 5.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

Just a couple of questions.

1)How long is Canelo's hair?

If you assume that if Canelo were using PEDs he would have stopped roughly 90 days ago and hair growth is roughly .5 to .7 inches a month,...

2) How far back in time are we seeing if we test Canelo's hair?

Anyway, if it was me, even if I were using in January, I'm pretty sure I'd pass now.
gino7799

Post by gino7799 »

Not sure how long Clen stays in the hair or even if it does. I do know that it does leave the system really fast in about four days after taking it and he was hit positive with his first two test by VADA a couple days apart 10 weeks out from the fight, he may have simply mistimed his cycle since most fights VADA test 8 weeks out but here they did it 10 weeks out............ I also know that Canelo has pulled out of VADA and the agreement with NSAC does not require him to get tested until 3 weeks prior to fight night. So since VADA test 8 to 10 weeks out. If he was/is cheating, he will just cycle off slightly earlier this time around. This leaves approximately 3 months where no one knows what he is doing, assuming Sept 15 fight. IF he is a clean fighter, one would assume he get himself tested as much as possible starting now, not pulling out of drug testing. So yes he is currently given free reign to do whatever he wants out of the competition. He literally just pull out of VADA during his out season.
On fight night Canelo weighed 177 pound and GGG weighed 168.2. But Canelo says the fight for his 160 pound belt must be at 155 pounds. She should just give her belt to GGG now and move on.
gino7799

Post by gino7799 »

Also, how did they get this hair sample, did they clip it themselves or just ask Canelo to mail in a sample. Are they even sure it is his, also the stand like a tree tells what you been doing. How much hair did he provide......Too me it does not matter, Canelo whole body changed in about 9 months. That is just not natural and he has needle marks in his shoulders. He is as juiced as JMM was.....
On fight night Canelo weighed 177 pound and GGG weighed 168.2. But Canelo says the fight for his 160 pound belt must be at 155 pounds. She should just give her belt to GGG now and move on.
Slippery Pete II

Post by Slippery Pete II »

Some of you are acting like he never tested positive at all. The shit was in his system. His TRAINER OWNS A BUTCHER SHOP AND DISTRIBUTES MEAT. Pictures showed him so jacked up and huge he looked like Arnold Schwarzenegger during a 1970's Mr. Olympia bodybuilding competition.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a fuckin' duck.

The suspicion is that pretty much all the top guys are on something. Is every single one of them? Who really knows for sure. I's become almost a running joke...These guys head into training camp looking like shit, spare tire, no muscle definition, saggy and tired and then they enter the ring looking like a damn animal, veins popping out, 6 pack abs, a head 3 sizes bigger than it was 2 months ago, the whole nine yards and all after only an 8 week training camp. Yeah right.

What it's come down for me, and I can only speak for myself, not sure how the rest of you feel...that these guys know their windows, when they need to do the stuff and when they need to stop to pass the tests, and also what kind of stuff can trigger a bad test...and the fucker STILL GOT CAUGHT. He's the highest paid fighter in North America since Floyd retired, he's worth tens of millions of dollars, he has more assets at his disposal than any other fighter in North America to make sure he doesn't trip up on something...and the guy STILL fails the test. There's no excuse for it. I chalk it up to arrogance more than anything. He knows and his trainers know that shit can't be in his system and that it's a KNOWN problem in Mexico. I couldn't care less how it got there, this guy can afford to fly out a different fuckin' cow from anywhere in the world on a weekly basis, but you are going to sit there and tell me he ate a bad taco off some shady street vendor? Please...he took a chance and got caught. Whether he was on a drunken binge and ate something he shouldn't have or whether he was jacking up with needles . I could care less. He's responsible for what goes into his body, not some backwoods taco vendor.

Enough with the excuses...Canelo's got NONE.
Last edited by Slippery Pete II on Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

If you keep your hair short enough you cut off the tainted part so, me thinks Canelo got lucky.... I once had a lab tech clip my hair and yes I was dirty for MJ at the time and she said "your hair is short so, I might have to take a sample from your under arm or pubic hair"...... Luckily she had enough hair to test from my head and yes I just had a hair cut the day before so I passed..... 8)
Chef
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

Lol

Poor arm chair warriors

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”