Joshua TKOd Takam & Whyte defeated Helenius

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
jeff_lacy_ko

Joshua TKOd Takam & Whyte defeated Helenius

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Pulev is injured and Joshua fight is ofg
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Re: Pulev out; Takam in?

Post by gilgamesh »

Yep this appears to be the case.

Solid replacement on such short notice.

And I want people to think about this.

Takam is a Top 10 ranked opponent.

Anthony Joshua just signed Takam a Top 10 ranked opponent to a fight on 2 weeks notice after his opponent backed out.

Meanwhile Deontay Wilder has had over 2 and a half years, and 5 title defenses, and hasn't defended his title against one. NOT ONE Top 10 ranked opponent.
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

Top 10 by who?
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Way to tell the complete story Gil(sigh)... :)

Maybe Wilder should have blatantly ducked Joshua, like Joshua is doing him.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Ring Magazine, TBRB, TTR

Some of the more respectable Boxing rankings out there.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote:Way to tell the complete story Gil(sigh)... :)

Maybe Wilder should have blatantly ducked Joshua, like Joshua is doing him.
Or maybe Wilder should have fought a Top 10 ranked opponent at some point over the course of 2 and a half years considering he calls himself "Champion"
Hillsinitialrebirth

Once again...you're leaving a lot out Gil. But carry on...
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Fill in the gaps then Hills. I'll tell you one thing you won't be able to list. A Top 10 opponent that Wilder has defended against in over 2 and a half years as "Champion"
Hillsinitialrebirth

Lol... "Your hate has made you strong".

Wilder really fires you up Gil :)
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Not really. People bring him up, and I put in my 2 cents on him.

Everything I say about him is 100% true, and people act as if I'm making it up. I find it really odd.

All it would take for me to begin to respect the guy would be for him to take on contenders. Hell he doesn't even need to fight Joshua straight away. Just 2 Top 10 opponents in a row would be a HUGE step in the right direction, and would cut back on my insulting him dramatically.

Continuing to walk the path he's walked for 2 and a half years will only intensify my criticism of him because it's the same 'ol problem except worse because time keeps marching on, and the story keeps staying the same.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Takam is probably about top 15. Not bad as a 12 days replacement....what can we realistically expect on that notice? I gave Wilder a pass on couldn't even beat Kassi Arreola and that was a month or two of notice I think.

Apparently Takam will also satisfy Joshua's IBF mandatory defense.
Last edited by Tocsin on Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Tocsin wrote:Takam is probably about top 15. Not bad as a 12 days replacement....what can we realistically expect on that notice? I gave Wilder a pass on shopworn Arreola and that was a month or two of notice I think.

Apparently Takam will also satisfy Joshua's IBF mandatory defense.
Takam is Top 10.

http://www.tbrb.org/all-rankings/
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

Takam is definitely a legit contender, not much drop off from Pulev if any.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

IMO it's a tougher fight for many HWs but not Joshua in that stylistically, Takam works on the inside which i doubt Joshua will let him get to... If he does though, Joshua could be massively tested because these big guys don't have much of a game on the inside.
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

just looked it up myself(been at work)
Top 10 on TBRB and TTR....Not by RING

More than any Wilder opponent has had rankings wise since Stiverne 1......and on 2 weeks notice...
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
J.J.Dillon
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ

Post by J.J.Dillon »

gilgamesh wrote:Yep this appears to be the case.

Solid replacement on such short notice.

And I want people to think about this.

Takam is a Top 10 ranked opponent.

Anthony Joshua just signed Takam a Top 10 ranked opponent to a fight on 2 weeks notice after his opponent backed out.

Meanwhile Deontay Wilder has had over 2 and a half years, and 5 title defenses, and hasn't defended his title against one. NOT ONE Top 10 ranked opponent.

De who? Never heard of him.
lurkyshaka
TTR Challenge #1 & 2 Champion

Post by lurkyshaka »

Takam is the next in line mandatory for Joshua. This gets his IBF mandatory obligation out of the way. Pulev will now how to queue up again.

As Gil pointed pointed out....the difference between how the Joshua camp and the Wilder camp handle a late pull out is night and day and shows the gulf in class and promotional capabilities. An agreement was already in place for Takem to be in training just in case anything like this happened. It wasn't panic stations scrambling around for an opponent. This is why Matchroom will have big success in America, they're a step ahead of the game and it pays off.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Stiverne was on the undercard for that reason kurk and he is the wbc mandatory so it isnt that bad

Takam is decent. He has a few losses but one was to the steroid cheat. He fought parker close.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

marciano1952 wrote:Top 10 by who?
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

He is in the 10-20 range. Certainly better than molina, duhaupys and Washington. Better than brezeake and martin too
NoPropaganda 253

lurkyshaka wrote:Takam is the next in line mandatory for Joshua. This gets his IBF mandatory obligation out of the way. Pulev will now how to queue up again.

As Gil pointed pointed out....the difference between how the Joshua camp and the Wilder camp handle a late pull out is night and day and shows the gulf in class and promotional capabilities. An agreement was already in place for Takem to be in training just in case anything like this happened. It wasn't panic stations scrambling around for an opponent. This is why Matchroom will have big success in America, they're a step ahead of the game and it pays off.
Matchroom can't turn US Fans into UK fans. He'll roll the dice and I hope he sticks around some. We'll see how those die land.

Signing Takam on 2 weeks notice isn't some amazing feat or a fight that is coveted. He's beat fighters with double digit losses sandwiched in between his failures to Povetkin and Parker.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Matchroom was able to salvage the card with Takam as I enjoy watching the young giant progress and stay busy, but this take is a little much. Wilder's Team paid a fucking step aside to ensure a quality opponent and are now fighting the mandatory opponent they were initially locked into fighting. All that "panic stations scrambling for an opponent" makes no sense.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Wilder-Stiverne 2 sucks.

Joshua-Pulev sucked.

Joshua-Takam sucks.

Wilder and Joshua should be fighting each other, PERIOD!!! Nobody should be making excuses for either of these two.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote:Wilder-Stiverne 2 sucks.

Joshua-Pulev sucked.

Joshua-Takam sucks.

Wilder and Joshua should be fighting each other, PERIOD!!! Nobody should be making excuses for either of these two.
Too harsh.

I agree that Wilder and Joshua should be up next BUT Joshua-Takam does not suck. Certainly not on the scale that Wilder-Stiverne 2 sucks, not even close. Pulev and Takam are relevant HW fighters and are legitimate challengers to either Joshua OR Wilder.
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote:
lurkyshaka wrote:Takam is the next in line mandatory for Joshua. This gets his IBF mandatory obligation out of the way. Pulev will now how to queue up again.

Matchroom can't turn US Fans into UK fans. He'll roll the dice and I hope he sticks around some. We'll see how those die land.

Signing Takam on 2 weeks notice isn't some amazing feat or a fight that is coveted. He's beat fighters with double digit losses sandwiched in between his failures to Povetkin and Parker.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Matchroom was able to salvage the card with Takam as I enjoy watching the young giant progress and stay busy, but this take is a little much. Wilder's Team paid a fucking step aside to ensure a quality opponent and are now fighting the mandatory opponent they were initially locked into fighting. All that "panic stations scrambling for an opponent" makes no sense.
The thing with Hearn and Matchroom is they will actually promote shows....which just isn't happening properly at the moment in the States. Look a the way that DiBella and Schaeffer are acting like a pair of bitches, they know that Hearn will shake things up and force them to up their game and improve their product. Feathers are ruffled and its a good thing for American boxing.

Takam is certainly no great shakes....in the big scheme of things he's actually wank and will be polished off within 4 rounds. But no sooner had Pulev had to pull out with an apparently torn pectoral, than Takam was in, no panic, just a smooth transition.

Will take some time for Matchroom to prove their value in the American market....but 'm confident they will do a job stateside and American boxing will be the better for their involvement.
NoPropaganda 253

lurkyshaka wrote:
NoPropaganda 253 wrote: Matchroom can't turn US Fans into UK fans. He'll roll the dice and I hope he sticks around some. We'll see how those die land.

The thing with Hearn and Matchroom is they will actually promote shows....which just isn't happening properly at the moment in the States. Look a the way that DiBella and Schaeffer are acting like a pair of bitches, they know that Hearn will shake things up and force them to up their game and improve their product. Feathers are ruffled and its a good thing for American boxing.

Takam is certainly no great shakes....in the big scheme of things he's actually wank and will be polished off within 4 rounds. But no sooner had Pulev had to pull out with an apparently torn pectoral, than Takam was in, no panic, just a smooth transition.

Will take some time for Matchroom to prove their value in the American market....but 'm confident they will do a job stateside and American boxing will be the better for their involvement.
I'll be rooting for this outcome for sure.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”