I'm not sure a rematch is necessary for GGG-Canelo

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Peat56

I'm not sure a rematch is necessary for GGG-Canelo

Post by Peat56 »

The majority of fans share roughly the same view of the fight. Only a few think it was really even and fewer still think Canelo won.

Our collective opinion is the one that matters, not the incompetent judges, not the promoters, not even the fighters.

I have NO DOUBT that we saw these two men at their very best. Neither man could have fought a better fight.

It was a superlative contest in every way.

Why taint that with a rematch that could see one of them faded?

But then... there is the matter of the Undisputed Middleweight Championship of the World, which I would love to see crowned. So maybe that would justify it.
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Re: I'm not sure a rematch is necessary for GGG-Canelo

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

Because it was an inconclusive ending. Even if you score the fight for Golovkin, which I did, it was close and a draw isn't all that crazy.

Assume Golovkin was awarded the decision, it wouldn't have been the "I've finally arrived" type of victory he needed to solidfy himself as P4P king or PPV star. It would have been a close UD or SD/MD. Nothing to write home about. Anything short of an emphatic, dominant thrashing of Canelo would have been a major disappoinment considering the amount of hype surrounding Golovkin.

That performance, a winning one in many people's view, was not a career defining moment.

Assuming a rematch is not necessary is absurd.
Last edited by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

The result was conclusive.

Who here had Canelo winning?
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

when a fighter wins almost an equal amount of rounds vs his opponent but clearly wins them... we always get a feeling someone gets robbed... I had GGG winning more rounds but could see some giving 6 rounds to Canelo... Again imo the problem is the 10-9 system... because in the scenario above a draw is possible but everyone has the feeling the fighter who diminated his rounds won... .5 system would correct this.
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

Tommy wrote:The result was conclusive.

Who here had Canelo winning?
DBO, Jeff_LacyKO, and Walstan are the only 3 i know...
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
dwightmac83

Post by dwightmac83 »

I thought most felt it was a good and entertaining fight so why not see it again
gino7799

Post by gino7799 »

No need it was a conclusive win for GGG! However , GGG might like another big pay day.
On fight night Canelo weighed 177 pound and GGG weighed 168.2. But Canelo says the fight for his 160 pound belt must be at 155 pounds. She should just give her belt to GGG now and move on.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

It'll happen because it's too much money for GGG to pass up on. That being said, I'd actually prefer it if there isn't a rematch. I have very little confidence that the judging will ever be on the level if these two fight, and the only thing that really seems likely to change in a rematch is they can screw Golovkin over COMPLETELY next time.
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

gilgamesh wrote:It'll happen because it's too much money for GGG to pass up on. That being said, I'd actually prefer it if there isn't a rematch. I have very little confidence that the judging will ever be on the level if these two fight, and the only thing that really seems likely to change in a rematch is they can screw Golovkin over COMPLETELY next time.
You care more about Golovkin being screwed over than the pleasure of witnessing another great fight (yourself)?
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Wasn't that great of a fight really. I mean it was a good fight certainly, but it wasn't some amazing classic that I just HAVE to see again. Especially when the 1st fight already showed that GGG can win, and it doesn't matter.

They won't let him win, and Canelo won't engage enough to be knocked out.

There'll be a rematch, but I won't be even half as excited for it as I was for the first fight. Because we've already seen this movie once before. If they'll fuck you once they'll fuck you twice.

I'd rather see GGG fight Saunders or Cotto first before there's any talk of a Canelo rematch.
dwightmac83

Post by dwightmac83 »

KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 wrote:
gilgamesh wrote:It'll happen because it's too much money for GGG to pass up on. That being said, I'd actually prefer it if there isn't a rematch. I have very little confidence that the judging will ever be on the level if these two fight, and the only thing that really seems likely to change in a rematch is they can screw Golovkin over COMPLETELY next time.
You care more about Golovkin being screwed over than the pleasure of witnessing another great fight (yourself)?
King thats the sense i'm getting from some fans to. I felt GGG won but i thought it was a fun fight to watch thats why i want to see it again. I don't care about how much they make because i don't get a dime of it but i get it if the boxer says it not so much when i here fans say it
dwightmac83

Post by dwightmac83 »

gilgamesh wrote:Wasn't that great of a fight really. I mean it was a good fight certainly, but it wasn't some amazing classic that I just HAVE to see again. Especially when the 1st fight already showed that GGG can win, and it doesn't matter.

There'll be a rematch, but I won't be even half as excited for it as I was for the first fight. Because we've already seen this movie once before. If they'll fuck you once they'll fuck you twice.

I'd rather see GGG fight Saunders or Cotto first before there's any talk of a Canelo rematch.

Saunders would be cool but Cotto i'll pass that would be a beat down. Saunders, Jacobs, Charlo would be good
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

It was a damn good fight. It's necessary.
Based

Post by Based »

They'll both do the rematch because it pays.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

dwightmac83 wrote:
gilgamesh wrote:Wasn't that great of a fight really. I mean it was a good fight certainly, but it wasn't some amazing classic that I just HAVE to see again. Especially when the 1st fight already showed that GGG can win, and it doesn't matter.

Saunders would be cool but Cotto i'll pass that would be a beat down. Saunders, Jacobs, Charlo would be good
With that huge payday on the line, I don't think there's any way that Charlo or Jacobs get shots before that check is cashed.
dwightmac83

Post by dwightmac83 »

Saunders would be cool but Cotto i'll pass that would be a beat down. Saunders, Jacobs, Charlo would be good[/quote]

With that huge payday on the line, I don't think there's any way that Charlo or Jacobs get shots before that check is cashed.[/quote]

Cag i don't disagree. I was just saying personally for me as a fan those are the fights i would like to see. But i get that from the business side of it
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

dwightmac83 wrote: Cag i don't disagree. I was just saying personally for me as a fan those are the fights i would like to see. But i get that from the business side of it
Yeah, In a perfect world Golovkin gets the win and Charlo gets the next fight. After that it's a rematch (or fight with Charlo) for either Jacobs or Canelo after they fight an eliminator.
gino7799

Post by gino7799 »

The question is when, how long will Canelo let GGG age. Obviously 35 was not old enough lol!
On fight night Canelo weighed 177 pound and GGG weighed 168.2. But Canelo says the fight for his 160 pound belt must be at 155 pounds. She should just give her belt to GGG now and move on.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

gino7799 wrote:The question is when, how long will Canelo let GGG age. Obviously 35 was not old enough lol!
8 months
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

why wouldnt you want a rematch? it was a closely contested highly entertaining fight between two top guys in the sport. even if you feel the winner was conclusive, whats to say it doesnt change in a rematch? if we didnt do rematches in fights that a majority of people felt 1 guy won 7 rounds, we wouldnt have gotten things like the 4 classic pac marquez fights, or even gatti-ward 3 for that matter.
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
Worldbreaker

Post by Worldbreaker »

I had the fight a draw

Force me to pick a winner then GGG by a small edge
pimparoni32

Post by pimparoni32 »

I don't see the need for a rematch. I'd like to see GGG him fight Jermall Charlo.
"Being alive's a crock of $hit" Kilgore Trout

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”