I miss Rasta....

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
lurkyshaka
TTR Challenge #1 & 2 Champion

I miss Rasta....

Post by lurkyshaka »

Sometimes I forget for a split second I forget and wonder what his take is on an upcoming fight.....such a loss to our community.
An integral part of the board and a good friend to so many people here :(
NoPropaganda 253

Re: I miss Rasta....

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

X2. Always enjoyed Rasta's take on most everything.

gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

I didn't know Rasta as well as you guys, but I liked him and I wish he was still around.
dwightmac83

Post by dwightmac83 »

He was the only guy who would say something negative about Ward and I wouldn't even disagree I would just nod and say I see your point of view
Burley

Post by Burley »

I remember, Rasta. Great guy, and an information machine. I miss him too.
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

Thing with Rasta is he was a genuinely good man, very kind hearted and loved an underdog, be that a fighter or an unpopular view/poster/etc. He'd stick up for people when he felt it necessary and he was a friend to a lot of people here, not just on here but behind the scenes with everyday general life issues. The board lost a massive poster when he died, and a great many of us lost a true friend. It'll never be quite the same without him for me. When I think of him and Scappy we all shared some great memories and moment! Its very bitter sweet.
theVAMP
TTR MMA Challenge #2 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #2 Champ

Post by theVAMP »

Cool thing about forums.

I was looking up old threads... and found myself reading some of his post...

Forums are like thoughts frozen in time.

So for me the post were new. Which made it seem as if he were still here.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Post by Primetyme199 »

Kevin was a good friend and a great human being.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Wheezy

Post by Wheezy »

same. still cant believe he passed away.
as promised, no more voodoo manny mom
chef97

Post by chef97 »

I agree w/ all of the heart felt thoughts on this thread and shout out to Lurky for bringing up our old friend and TTR - HOF member.... I'm reminded of Rasta almost daily when I'm at work because we exchanged gifts to each other over the years.... Anyways, one of the things he gifted me back in 2010 was a small high quality pocket knife made of brass, wood and hardened stainless steel made in Canada.... I use it daily when at work opening boxes etc. I lost Rasta's pocket knife gift to me at my job back in Arizona and didn't have the heart to tell him I had lost it... Then after 6 months I found it in the walk-in freezer on a shelf next to a wall....... :D I still got it to this day and now I have the knife trained to jump right back into my pocket after each use.... 8)
Chef
gino7799

Post by gino7799 »

Very cool story Chef, Rasta was a good man.
On fight night Canelo weighed 177 pound and GGG weighed 168.2. But Canelo says the fight for his 160 pound belt must be at 155 pounds. She should just give her belt to GGG now and move on.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Rasta sent me a Yukon Flag and a Yukon pen in a wooden box... still have both... that was back when we were at ESPN... I miss him a lot too... he was colorful. I think you could say he was passionate which gave him a strong standing on everything.

Mostly, he was one of the only few persons who i felt we were the same about our love of animals and the planet. In fact, i think he is the only other human being i knew who would go as far as i did to defend their rights. The Yahoo story is still a proof... he was main page there across the world for defending that dog.
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

theVAMP wrote:Cool thing about forums.

I was looking up old threads... and found myself reading some of his post...

Forums are like thoughts frozen in time.

So for me the post were new. Which made it seem as if he were still here.
Yeah that is a pretty cool thing, can always go back and hear people talk again.
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

chef97 wrote:I agree w/ all of the heart felt thoughts on this thread and shout out to Lurky for bringing up our old friend and TTR - HOF member.... I'm reminded of Rasta almost daily when I'm at work because we exchanged gifts to each other over the years.... Anyways, one of the things he gifted me back in 2010 was a small high quality pocket knife made of brass, wood and hardened stainless steel made in Canada.... I use it daily when at work opening boxes etc. I lost Rasta's pocket knife gift to me at my job back in Arizona and didn't have the heart to tell him I had lost it... Then after 6 months I found it in the walk-in freezer on a shelf next to a wall....... :D I still got it to this day and now I have the knife trained to jump right back into my pocket after each use.... 8)
Nice story Chef, memories of a good man!
Iluvboxing
TTR Amateur Boxer

Post by Iluvboxing »

Though I never met him in person, Rasta was a guy I talked to through this forum since I was 14. He was/is synonymous with TTR, so when he passed I was definitely saddened. As I would be with a good number of guys that have passed through here.
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

lurkyshaka wrote:Sometimes I forget for a split second I forget and wonder what his take is on an upcoming fight.....such a loss to our community.
An integral part of the board and a good friend to so many people here :(
x10000

Kev was a guy who used to reach out to me... he was probably the only one I talked to on the side outside of the message boards... wondering whether my absences were due to anything other than being busy - usually they were not. However, he would always check in on me and ask what was going on. And he never - ever - ever really said that there was anything significant that was wrong with him. He was always trying to be sure that things were good around him and here at TTR. As frustrated as he ever was at some of the posts or the way that people might have treated each other, this was home base for him. He tried (and invited me to) other boards to talk boxing, but he always came back here. And wherever he was, to be honest, was a place that I wanted to be.

Good stuff, Lurk... literally every fight that I watch in the Living Room, I talk to a few folks - but it reminds me that Rasta is no longer able to chat with me and we can't do virtual high fives when the tide of a fight changes. I probably miss him more than any person that I have never met in person, but felt a kinship with.
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson
DBO
Only DBO & Marciano have won All 3 Challenges
Only DBO & Marciano have won All 3 Challenges

Post by DBO »

Rasta was one of the best. ESPN seems so long ago, but that's where we started arguing about Shannon Briggs. Top guy!
BenJammin

Post by BenJammin »

I miss him too. He was the first person (Lurk second) to welcome me to the board (this was back during the ESPN days). I used to argue Hatton/Floyd scenarios with him LONG before the fight ever happened. Good dude, hard to believe he's gone.
Floyd always figures them out, always. Manny is NO enigma. Floyd solves his BS suduko in one round.

Ben...
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

Nice sentiments all around.
BigPhank211

Post by BigPhank211 »

Salt of the earth good guy.
Two tears in a bucket, I wish ni@@as a pail.
A celebration b!tches, I wish ni@@as Chappelle.
They never caught wind, yet thought that they could sail,
against my Sea World flow. I wish you ni@@as whale!
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

Rasta could always bring a different twist to the table when a discussion could take place. His musical interest was very broad. Had my back a lot of times. Love the guy and also miss him.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

August 16th will make it 1Yr since he is gone.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Tomorrow... It will be one year...

I remember last year he had told me he was sick... I had tried to reach him on the phone since i had no more news. I had left him a message on his phone and he had pm'd me back:

"Lol. You speak better English than half the English people I know. Nothing has changed. I'm having a biopsy tomorrow on a liver spot in an attempt to find out the origin. Either way I'll find out the course of treatment and most likely be flying to Vancouver in a week. I'll be giving up one of my dogs tomorrow after my procedure. That’s going to be tough. Have to keep things in perspective though."

Then nothing...

I began to worry about him... On my birthday (august 16th) i thought about him and felt something was bad and wrong... only a few days later Pres received a pm on facebook. One of his coworker was trying to reach out to us to give us the sad news. I called at Rasta's work to confirm the news and the same coworker answered and confirmed... I remember being at work when making the call and when he said "well i'm sorry Antoine to tell you that kevin passed"... I got all emotional and felt like crying and rapidly put an end to the call... After talking through PMs with him and trying to know more, he confirmed he died on the 16th.

VERY sad day. I will always miss Kevin... Particularly the one i got to meet on ESPN. A very colorful and passionate individual.

Thanks to that Co-worker for giving us the information... i would've hated to never know what happened to him.
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

the13r wrote:Tomorrow... It will be one year...

I remember last year he had told me he was sick... I had tried to reach him on the phone since i had no more news. I had left him a message on his phone and he had pm'd me back:

"Lol. You speak better English than half the English people I know. Nothing has changed. I'm having a biopsy tomorrow on a liver spot in an attempt to find out the origin. Either way I'll find out the course of treatment and most likely be flying to Vancouver in a week. I'll be giving up one of my dogs tomorrow after my procedure. That’s going to be tough. Have to keep things in perspective though."

Then nothing...

I began to worry about him... On my birthday (august 16th) i thought about him and felt something was bad and wrong... only a few days later Pres received a pm on facebook. One of his coworker was trying to reach out to us to give us the sad news. I called at Rasta's work to confirm the news and the same coworker answered and confirmed... I remember being at work when making the call and when he said "well i'm sorry Antoine to tell you that kevin passed"... I got all emotional and felt like crying and rapidly put an end to the call... After talking through PMs with him and trying to know more, he confirmed he died on the 16th.

VERY sad day. I will always miss Kevin... Particularly the one i got to meet on ESPN. A very colorful and passionate individual.

Thanks to that Co-worker for giving us the information... i would've hated to never know what happened to him.
Yeah that co-worked did us all a massive favour there. Would have been awful not to have known. I knew Rasta wasn't well, but he kept just how poorly he was to himself for the most part. He was a trooper, don't think he wanted to burden anyone. He was always more comfortable listening to and being there for other people. I just wish he'd truly understood before he passed how much he meant to so many people here.
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

You really capture my thoughts there, Lurk.

I knew that he was sick here and there, but not HOW sick. He would say a few things off and on that would have me wonder whether he was really okay, but nothing that would have caused me a huge amount of worry. That was his spirit and his heart, though - I think that he did not ever want to burden anyone else with what he saw as his problems.

I also wish that he knew what an effect he had on this site for me and many others... so many days that he was my reason for visiting. I know that there were so many nuggets of knowledge that he pulled from people by engaging them in dialogue that built off of what they had posted to really get at the heart of what the poster was saying.

Heck, I even enjoyed the fired up Rasta who lit into folks at times (I was not excluded from that list). It was that sprited conversation that pushed some people to take a position and defend it.

It is hard to think that it has been a year - longer since I have talked to him. I miss him every time I visit here, and when it crosses my mind to visit here.
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”