Thurman vs Spence

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
wimpy

Thurman vs Spence

Post by wimpy »

How do you see this one...
“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”

― Benjamin Franklin
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Re: Thurman vs Spence

Post by gilgamesh »

I'd take Spence to win a clear decision. 116-111 or wider. Wouldn't shock me if he stopped Thurman late in the fight either.
rocketcoe

Post by rocketcoe »

Thurman isn't going to stand in front of Spence like Brook. I see a tactical fight with some big shots, but will ultimately be difficult to score.
PaulieJ'z

Post by PaulieJ'z »

One Time
P.J
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

I don't think it'd be that difficult to score. I figure Spence would be able to beat Thurman at most aspects of the game, and would outwork him in most rounds.
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

Thurman needs to channel some guts and go for the KO. Otherwise he gets his ears boxed.
undefeatedchamp

Post by undefeatedchamp »

I'll take Spence UD or late stoppage. I see it going down similar to the Pac vs Cotto fight but not quite. Winner should face Pac, Mayweather, or Crawford. Best vs the best.
If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Thurman would be Run Time in this one...
Based

Post by Based »

I got Spence by stoppage. I don't think Thurman is as good as Brook. Thurman is a top fighter, but he more of an athletic fighter, than a skilled boxer who would fundamentally give Spence problems like Brook did. Thurman moves a lot in the ring, but he's more on the run like a Dirrell than a Mayweather, and Spence would kill him if he came with the Danny Garcia game plan. He would have a great speed advantage vs Spence, but Spence's range would kill Thurman. Plus he has decent speed and great power. Spence aint no Danny Garcia. Spence will catch Thurman a lot, but Thurman would have his moments.

Some may think Thurman could run through Spence because he did not look great vs Brook. Brook kept a tight defense and countered Spence at will in the first half of their fight. Thurman can't do what Brook did with Spence because he isn't a boxer. He'll tag and run, not stand there and box. Spence struggled until Brook broke down. Brook also hit Spence with everything and couldn't even hurt him, and constantly tagged him. I think that's a bad omen for Thurman who will be on the back foot all night vs Spence. One time could possibly see the final bell if he fights on survival mode. He just doesn't have what it takes to beat Spence.
lakerlegacy1

Post by lakerlegacy1 »

In Spence's post fight interview he stated "I showed a great chin" which equates to "there are huge deficiencies in my defense." Catching flush power shots on the championship level is a recipe for disaster. Thuman's mobility and power pose major problems for Spence.
Slippery Pete II

Post by Slippery Pete II »

Spence beats Thurman rather handily. The only real competition I see for him is Pac, and if Crawford moves up to 147.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Spence is just better than the overrated Thurman. And unlike Garcia, Spence has the foot speed and foot skill, to cut off the ring when Thurman puts on his track shoes. Spence batters him into submission late....
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Run time will suck the fun out of the fight
athenian

Post by athenian »

I feel like this fight gets marinade and seasoning until 2019
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

I think that Thurman's chances against Spence are being underestimated. He does a lot of things well that were working for Kell yesterday. He uses a lot of short straight punches and when he's in range he rarely if ever just stands there plotting his next move. Thurman is always in motion or he's tieing up. Unlike Kell, Thurman looks awkward and can be hard to watch when he's in constant motion but also pretty hard to draw a bead on.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

How do you see it, Wimp? Breakdown some boxing.

I'd favor Spence in a close fight. Imo Thurman hit's harder than Brook, possesses better timing, iis more mobile, a better boxer, and has more will. Even then, Spence will probably be too much. Too long, hits too damn hard, cuts off the ring well, does not rattle, has a solid chin. Too much pressure for Keith who would finish the fight and do better than Brook in rounds.
NoPropaganda 253

Cagiva9 wrote:I think that Thurman's chances against Spence are being underestimated. He does a lot of things well that were working for Kell yesterday. He uses a lot of short straight punches and when he's in range he rarely if ever just stands there plotting his next move. Thurman is always in motion or he's tieing up. Unlike Kell, Thurman looks awkward and can be hard to watch when he's in constant motion but also pretty hard to draw a bead on.
He rarely ties up. Ever. Think Porter, fight George. Now contrast with the way Brook had to win.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote:
Cagiva9 wrote:I think that Thurman's chances against Spence are being underestimated. He does a lot of things well that were working for Kell yesterday. He uses a lot of short straight punches and when he's in range he rarely if ever just stands there plotting his next move. Thurman is always in motion or he's tieing up. Unlike Kell, Thurman looks awkward and can be hard to watch when he's in constant motion but also pretty hard to draw a bead on.
He rarely ties up. Ever. Think Porter, fight George. Now contrast with the way Brook had to win.
Yeah you're right, not much tying up, a few times when Porter landed to the body but not often.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Brook is clearly a better boxer than Thurman, and Spence figured Brook out and began to take him apart.
NoPropaganda 253

Kool Keith has better footwork, actually works off the jab, anticipates in-coming shots quicker and has better timing than Brook. Kell is not a better boxer. Typing "clearly" doesn't make it so.

You just mad at that pony tail, buddy. :)
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote:Kool Keith has better footwork, actually works off the jab, anticipates in-coming shots quicker and has better timing than Brook. Kell is not a better boxer. Typing "clearly" doesn't make it so.

You just mad at that pony tail, buddy. :)
I think that Kell showed an outstanding jab yesterday - and he timed it well, which gave Spence some early issues. I don't think that Thurman's timing or his ability to control the distance of the fight is at the level of Brook.

I do agree that he works off of the jab and that he can throw some nice straight punches... however, he won't be as quick as Brook was with his hands. His footwork may be quicker than Brook was, but Brook positioned himself VERY nicely against Spence.

It is hard to say whether or not Thurman poses the same amount of problems for Spence that Kell did early, but I can say that it would make sense to me that Spence will be better and will learn from what just happened.
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

One thing for sure is that when the time comes Thurman should negotiate the largest ring possible.
wimpy

Post by wimpy »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote:How do you see it, Wimp? Breakdown some boxing.

I'd favor Spence in a close fight. Imo Thurman hit's harder than Brook, possesses better timing, iis more mobile, a better boxer, and has more will. Even then, Spence will probably be too much. Too long, hits too damn hard, cuts off the ring well, does not rattle, has a solid chin. Too much pressure for Keith who would finish the fight and do better than Brook in rounds.
I don't have a bead on how these two will match up. That's the reason I asked.
“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”

― Benjamin Franklin
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

I don't think Thurman is that good. Spence's body work will eat him up.
Bulldog

Post by Bulldog »

Slippery Pete II wrote:Spence beats Thurman rather handily. The only real competition I see for him is Pac, and if Crawford moves up to 147.
Manny cannot beat any of the elite WWs, he will fight a JWW brought up to WW he will not fight a Thurman Spence Porter.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”